Microbial-Influenced Corrosion of Corten Steel Compared with Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel in Oily Wastewater by Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- 342 Downloads
The microbial corrosion behavior of three important steels (carbon steel, stainless steel, and Corten steel) was investigated in semi petroleum medium. This work was done in modified nutrient broth (2 g nutrient broth in 1 L oily wastewater) in the presence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and mixed culture (as a biotic media) and an abiotic medium for 2 weeks. The behavior of corrosion was analyzed by spectrophotometric and electrochemical methods and at the end was confirmed by scanning electron microscopy. The results show that the degree of corrosion of Corten steel in mixed culture, unlike carbon steel and stainless steel, is less than P. aeruginosa inoculated medium because some bacteria affect Corten steel less than other steels. According to the experiments, carbon steel had less resistance than Corten steel and stainless steel. Furthermore, biofilm inhibits separated particles of those steels to spread to the medium; in other words, particles get trapped between biofilm and steel.
KeywordsCorrosion Rate Carbon Steel Mixed Culture Extracellular Polymeric Substance Nutrient Broth
The authors wish to thank Dr. Aboozar Taheri from Lamerd branch of Islamic Azad University.
- 1.K.C. Marshall, Biofouling and Biocorrosion in Industrial Water Systems, eds. G. Geesey, Z. Lewandowski, and H.C. Flemming (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press Inc., 1994), pp. 15–26.Google Scholar
- 6.Z. Lewandowski, Biofouling and Biocorrosion in Industrial Water Systems, eds. G. Geesey, Z. Lewandowski, and H.C. Flemming (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press Inc., 1994), pp. 175–188.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Javaherdashti, Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion—An Engineering Insight (London: Springer, 2008), p. 30.Google Scholar
- 13.R. Javaherdashti, Corros. Mater. 36, 52 (2011).Google Scholar
- 16.H.M. Tawancy, L.M. Al-Hadhrami, and F.K. Al-Yousef, Eng. Fail. Anal. 1, 6 (2013).Google Scholar
- 17.MEPS International Ltd., Steel Price Tables (MEPS, 2015). http://www.meps.co.uk/index-price.htm.
- 20.Aisc, Manual of Steel Construction, 8th ed., second revised printing (Chicago, IL: American Institute of Steel Construction, 1980), pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 23.B.R. Hansen and S.R.H. Davies, Chem. Eng. Res. Des. 72, 176 (1994).Google Scholar
- 24.J.H. Jeffery, J. Bassett, J. Mendham, and R.C. Denney, Vogel’s Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 5th ed. (London, U.K.: Thames Polytechnic, 1989), p. 690.Google Scholar
- 27.H.A. Videla, Corrosion Inhibition in the Presence of Microbial Corrosion, Paper No. 223, Corrosion 96, (NACE International, Houston, TX, 1996), pp. 1–11Google Scholar