Additive Manufacturing of Metal Cellular Structures: Design and Fabrication
- 2.1k Downloads
With the rapid development of additive manufacturing (AM), high-quality fabrication of lightweight design-efficient structures no longer poses an insurmountable challenge. On the other hand, much of the current research and development with AM technologies still focuses on material and process development. With the design for additive manufacturing in mind, this article explores the design issue for lightweight cellular structures that could be efficiently realized via AM processes. A unit-cell-based modeling approach that combines experimentation and limited-scale simulation was demonstrated, and it was suggested that this approach could potentially lead to computationally efficient design optimizations with the lightweight structures in future applications.
KeywordsTopology Optimization Cellular Structure Additive Manufacturing Selective Laser Melting Electron Beam Melting
- 1.T. Catts, GE printing engine fuel nozzles propels $6 billion market, Bloomberg, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-12/ge-printing-engine-fuel-nozzles-propels-6-billion-market.html. Accessed 12 Nov 2013.
- 2.GE Reports, This electron gun builds jet engines, http://www.gereports.com/post/94658699280/this-electron-gun-builds-jet-engines. Accessed 17 Aug 2014.
- 3.B. Coxworth, World’s first 3d-printed titanium bicycle frame could lead to cheaper, lighter bikes, Gizmag, http://www.gizmag.com/3d-printed-titanium-bicycle-frame/30760/. Accessed 8 Feb 2014.
- 8.O. Cansizoglu (Ph.D. dissertation, North Carolina State University, 2008).Google Scholar
- 9.N.P. Fey, B.J. South, C.C. Seepersad and R.R. Neptune (Paper presented at the 20th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, Austin, TX, 2009).Google Scholar
- 13.M.F. Ashby, N.A. Fleck, L.J. Gibson, J.W. Hutchinson, and H.N.G. Wadley, Metal Forams: A Design Guide, 1st ed. (Woburn: Butterworth Heinemann, 2000).Google Scholar
- 32.L. Yang, H. Gong, S. Dilip, and B. Stucker (Paper presented at the 25th Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, Austin, TX, 2014).Google Scholar