Characterization and Control of Powder Properties for Additive Manufacturing
- 2.9k Downloads
Powder characterization and handling in powder metallurgy are important issues and the required powder properties will vary between different component manufacturing processes. By understanding and controlling these, the final material properties for different applications can be improved and become more reliable. In this study, the metal powders used in additive manufacturing (AM) in terms of electron beam melting and selective laser melting have been investigated regarding particle size and shape using dynamic image analysis. In parallel, powder flow characteristics have been evaluated with a powder rheometer. Correlations within the results have been found between particle shape and powder flow characteristics that could explain certain effects of the powder processing in the AM processes. The impact, however, in the processing performance as well as in ultimate material properties was found to be limited.
KeywordsImpact Toughness Additive Manufacturing Selective Laser Melting Electron Beam Melting Powder Property
This work was supported by Swerea 3D,3 a project within the Swerea group of research institutes, aimed to promoting the development and spreading of additive manufacturing in Sweden.
- 2.U. Ackelid and M. Svensson, Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Powder Metallurgy & Particulate Materials, Las Vegas, NV, 2009, pp. 9101–9109.Google Scholar
- 3.Retsch Technology, Dynamic Image Analysis, Camsizer XT, http://www.retsch-technology.com/rt/products/dynamic-image-analysis/camsizer-xt
- 5.O. Lyckfeldt (Paper presented at the Euro PM2013, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2013).Google Scholar
- 6.A.W. Jenike, Storage and Flow of Solids (Salt Lake City, UT: University of Utah, 1964).Google Scholar
- 7.R.A. Stevens and P.E.J. Flewitt, Mater. Sci. Technol. 14, 81 (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.G. Appa Rao, M. Srinvas, and D.S. Sarma, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 435, 84 (2006).Google Scholar
- 10.B.-O. Bengtsson, G.J. Del Corso, and J.F. Scanlon, Paper presented at the Proceedings of Euro PM2012, Basel, Switzerland, 2012.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Sgobba, F. Savary, J. Liimatainen, and M. Kumpula (Paper presented at PM2000: Powder Metallurgy World Congress & Exhibition, Kyoto, Japan, 2000).Google Scholar
- 13.A. Angré and A. Strondl (Paper presented at HIP14, Stockholm, Sweden, 2014).Google Scholar