Real-time SEM/FIB studies of whisker growth and surface modification
We report on real-time measurements that enable us to watch the morphology of whiskers and hillocks forming in real-time and provide insight into the mechanisms controlling their growth and initiation. These measurements show that whiskers appear to grow out of a single grain on the surface with little lateral growth. To understand why whiskers initiate at specific sites, we modified the surface using the focused ion beam to remove the oxide in selected areas. Whiskers did not grow out of these uncovered areas, indicating that the underlying grain structure is important to whisker growth and it is not sufficient to just remove the oxide barrier. In comparison with whiskers, we found that hillock formation is accompanied by a large amount of grain growth and often by grain rotation at the surface.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.M. Arnold, in Proc. of Electrical Components Conference (1959), pp. 75–82.Google Scholar
- 4.Multiple examples of whisker-induced failures are documented on the NASA website, http//nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/.Google Scholar
- 5.K.G. Compton, A. Mendizza, and S. Arnold, Corrosion, 7 (1951), p. 327.Google Scholar
- 6.K.S. Kumar et al., J. Mater. Res. (2008), pp. 2916–2934.Google Scholar
- 7.Research activities in Prof. Eric Chason’s Laboratory, Brown University, Providence, RI, http://www.engin.brown.edu/faculty/chason/reseaichf.Google Scholar
- 8.N. Jadhav et al., IEEE Trans, on Elect. Packaging Manuf., 33(2010),p.3.Google Scholar
- 9.W.C. Ellis, D.F. Gibbons, and R.C. Treuting, Growth and Perfection of Crystals, ed. R.H. Doremus, B.W. Roberts, and D. Turnbull (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1958), pp. 102–120.Google Scholar
- 12.V.K. Glazunova and N.T. Kudryavtsev, Zh. Prikl. Khim. (S.-Peterburg), 36 (1963), p. 543.Google Scholar
- 17.B.Z. Lee and D.N. Lee, Acta Metallurgica, 46(10) (1998), pp. 3701–3714.Google Scholar
- 25.N. Jadhav and E. Chason (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 26.L. Reinbold et al., J. Mater. Res., submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 28.A. Pedlgo et al., Proc. IEEE Electron. Compon. Conf. (Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, 2008), pp. 1498–1504.Google Scholar