Recent progress in the coating protection of gamma titanium-aluminides
- 341 Downloads
Engine designers show continued interest in titanium aluminides based on the intermetallic γ-TiAl phase as lightweight structural materials to be used at moderately elevated temperatures. Although alloy development has made significant progress in terms of mechanical properties and environmental resistance, protective coatings have been developed that help to extend the lifetime of these alloys significantly. The major challenge of coating development is long-termstability of aprotective oxide scale that forms during service for which purpose alumina formation is essential. Furthermore, changes of coating chemistries at high temperatures must be controlled to avoid rapid degradation of the coatings due to diffusional losses into the substrate material and vice versa.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Gilchrist and T.M. Pollock. Struct. Intermetallics 2001, ed. K.J. Hemker et al. (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 2001), pp. 3–12.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Smarlsy et al., Struct. Intermetallics 2001, in Ref. 1, pp. 25–34.Google Scholar
- 3.N.A. Walker and N.E. Glover, Struct. Intermetallics 2001. in Ref. 1, pp. 19–24.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Leyens et al., Surf. Coat. Tech., 155(2–3) (2003), pp. 103–111.Google Scholar
- 11.M.P. Brady et al., JOM, 48 (11) (1996), pp. 46–50.Google Scholar
- 12.C. Leyens et al. Gamma Titanium Aluminides 2003, ed. Y.-W. Kim, H. Clemens, and A.H. Rosenberger (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 2003), pp. 551–557.Google Scholar
- 13.C. Leyens, R. Braun, and M. Peters, 10th World Conference on Titanium (Hamburg, Germany: Wiley-VCH, 2003).Google Scholar
- 15.C. Leyens et al., Materials for Advanced Power Engineering, ed. J. Lecomte-Beckers et al. (Juelich, Germany: Schriften des Forschungszentrum, Reihe Energietechnik, 2002), pp. 465–474.Google Scholar
- 16.T.N. Rhys-Jones and F.C. Toriz, High Temp. Technol., 7 (2) (1989) pp. 73–81.Google Scholar
- 17.R.A. Miller, “Thermal Barrier Coatings for Aircraft Engines-History and Directions,” in NASA CP 3312 (1995), pp. 17–34.Google Scholar
- 18.M.F. Trubelia et al., Advanced Turbine Systems Annual Program Review Meeting 1997 Conference Proceedings (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Energy).Google Scholar
- 20.C. Leyens et al., Zeitschrift fur Metallkunde 92 (7) (2001) pp. 762–772.Google Scholar