A TEM investigation of the γ/γ′ phase boundary in Pt-based superalloys
Precipitation-strengthened alloys in the system Pt-Al-Cr-Ni have been investigated by transmission-electron microscopy. Dense dislocation networks were found in an alloy with the nominal composition, in atomic percent, Pt-14Al-3Cr-4Ni after homogenization heat treatment and aging. Alloys with higher nickel content showed low overall dislocation densities and the γ/γ′ phase boundaries were almost free of dislocations. The loss of coherency in the alloy with a low nickel content is explained by high lattice misfit.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.-C. Zhao and J.H. Westbrook, MRS Bulletin, 28 (9) (2003), pp. 622–627.Google Scholar
- 4.L.A. Cornish, B. Fischer, and R. Völkl, MRS Bulletin, 28 (9) (2003), pp. 632–638.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Hüller et al., Met. Mat. Trans. A, in press (October 2004).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Wenderoth et al., Met. Mat. Trans. A, in press (November 2004).Google Scholar
- 8.R. Völkl et al., Met. Mat. Trans A, accepted (July 2004).Google Scholar
- 12.D.B. Williams and C.B. Carter, Transmission Electron Microscopy—A Textbook for Materials Science (New York: Plenum Press, 1996).Google Scholar
- 13.T. Link and M. Feller-Kniepmeier, Z. Metallkde, 78 (9) (1987), pp. 617–621.Google Scholar
- 14.A. Lasalmonie and J.L. Strudel, Phil. Mag., 32 (5) (1975), pp. 937–949.Google Scholar
- 15.H. Brooks, Metal Interfaces (Materials Park, OH: Am. Soc. for Metals, 1952), p. 20.Google Scholar