The orientation imaging microscopy of lead-free Sn-Ag solder joints
- 319 Downloads
Orientation imaging microscopy was used to identify solidification microstructures and early stages of damage evolution in tin-silver eutectic solder joints on copper and nickel substrates after aging, creep, and thermomechanical fatigue. A visco-plastic self-consistent plasticity model was able to simulate texture changes when work hardening occurred at higher strain rates, but not with lower rates, where grain boundary sliding dominated the deformation and slip occurred predominantly on one or two slip systems that could be predicted using a Schmid (Sachs) analysis.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.M. Fujiwara and T. Hirokawa, “The Strength of Main Obstacles to Dislocation Motion in White Tin Crystals,” J. Japan Inst. Metals, 51 (1987), pp. 830–838.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Frear, H. Morgan, and J.H. Lau, editors, The Mechanics of Solder Alloy Interconnects (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1994).Google Scholar
- 8.J.E. Breen and J. Weertman, “Creep of Polycrystalline Tin,” J. Metals, 7 (1955), p. 1230.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Weertman, “Creep of Indium, Lead, and Some of Their Alloys with Various Metals,” Trans. Amer. Inst. Min. Engrs., 218 (1960), p. 207.Google Scholar
- 15.A.U. Telang et al., “Grain Boundary Sliding on 7, 14, and 22° Special Boundaries during Thermomechanical Cycling in Dual-Shear Lap Lead-Free Solder Joint Specimens,” Materials Science and Engineering, in press.Google Scholar
- 16.A.U. Telang et al., “Orientation Imaging Studies of Sn-Based Electronic Solder Joints,” J. Materials Research, 17 (2002), pp. 2294–2306.Google Scholar
- 17.A.U. Telang and T.R. Bieler, “Characterization of Microstructure and Crystal Orientation of the Tin Phase in Single Shear Lap Sn-3.5Ag Solder Joint Specimens,” 52 (10) (2005), Scripta Materialia, pp. 1027–1031.Google Scholar
- 20.H. Kokawa, T. Watanabe, and S. Karashima, “Sliding Behavior and Dislocation Structures in Aluminum Grain Boundaries,” Phil. Mag. A, 44 (1981), pp. 1239–1254.Google Scholar
- 23.A. Zamiri et al., unpublished research (2005).Google Scholar
- 28.C.N. Tomé and R.A. Lebensohn, Manual for Code Visco-Plastic Self-Consistent (VPSC), Version 6 (Los Alamos, NM: Los Alamos National Laboratory, May 2003).Google Scholar
- 29.L.P. Lehman et al., “Microstructure and Damage Evolution in Sn-Ag-Cu Solder Joints,” 2005 Proceedings 55th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (2005) pp. 674–681.Google Scholar