Creep properties of Sn-Ag solder joints containing intermetallic particles
- 320 Downloads
The creep behavior of the eutectic tin-silver joints and tin-silver composite solder joints containing 20 vol.% of Cu6Sn5, Ni3Sn4, and FeSn2 intermetallic reinforcements introduced by in-situ methods was investigated. These creep tests were carried out using single shear lap solder joints at room temperature, 85°C, and 125°C. The creep resistance was similar in magnitude for all alloys, and with increasing temperature, the stressexponents decreased in a manner consistent with power-law breakdown behavior. The FeSn2 intermetallic reinforced composite solder was found to be the most creep-resistant alloy at room temperature. Creep failure was observed to occur within the solder matrix in all these solder joints. Although a detailed analysis of the processes involved was difficult because of smearing of the features in the fracture surface, there were indications of grain-boundary separation, ductile fracture, and interfacial separation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.P. Richards et al., Lead-Free Soldering (London: U.K. Department of Trade and Industry, 1999).Google Scholar
- 2.P.T. Vianco and D.R. Frear, JOM, 45 (7) (1993), p. 14.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Mavoori et al., J. Electron. Mater., 26 (7) (1997), p. 783.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Chadaet al., Soldering & Surface Mount Technology (26) (July 9, 1997).Google Scholar
- 6.W. Yang, L.E. Felton, and R.W. Messler, Jr., J. Electron. Mater., 24 (10) (1995), p. 1465.Google Scholar
- 7.A.W. Gibson et al., Design & Reliability of Solders and Solder Interconnections, ed. R.K. Mahidhara et al. (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 1997), p. 97.Google Scholar
- 8.S.L. Choi et al., Design & Reliability of Solders and Solder Interconnections, ed. R.K. Mahidhara et al. (Warrendale, PA: TMS, 1997), p. 241.Google Scholar
- 9.A.W. Gibson et al., IEEE 5th International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment (Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, 1997), p. 246.Google Scholar
- 13.J. Liang et al., Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., Vol. 445 (Warrendale, PA: MRS, 1997), p. 307.Google Scholar
- 16.D.R. Frear, JOM, 48 (5) (1996), p. 49.Google Scholar
- 19.J. McDougall et al., Mater. Sci. Eng., A285 (2000), p. 25.Google Scholar