Effect of emulsified polymer binders on the performance of activated carbon electrochemical double-layer capacitors
- 55 Downloads
The electrochemical properties of two water-emulsified polymers, styrene-butadiene rubber, and polytetrafluoroethylene, on activated carbon electrochemical capacitors were systematically compared. All electrodes were fabricated with different ratios of styrene-butadiene rubber and polytetrafluoroethylene: 4 : 0, 3 : 1, 2 : 2, and 1 : 3. A good dispersion of styrene-butadiene rubber nanoparticles maintains mesopores in activated carbon, whereas an increase in polytetrafluoroethylene binder content in the electrodes reduces mesoporous surface area significantly due to the lump polytetrafluoroethylene structure coagulated by smashed particles in water. The relatively strong adhesion of the styrene-butadiene rubber binder also leads to better cyclability for extremely long cycles and the rate capability with various current densities at room temperature. At a high temperature of 60 °C, however, the electrodes containing polytetrafluoroethylene binder showed comparable high specific capacitance due to the high thermal stability of polytetrafluoroethylene.
KeywordsElectrochemical Double-layer Capacitor Emulsified Binder Styrene-butadiene Rubber Polytetrafluoroethylene Activated Carbon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was financially supported by the Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy (MOTIE), Korea, under the “Regional Specialized Industry Development Program” supervised by the Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology (KIAT) (R0005989).
- 9.K. Lia, N. Maffei and E. Entchev, J. Solid State Electrochem., 18, 2535 (2014).Google Scholar
- 17.H. Xu, B. Gao, H. Cao, X. Chen, L. Yu, K. Wu, L. Sun, X. Peng and J. Fu, J. Nanomaterials, 2014, 1 (2014).Google Scholar
- 19.C.-M. Wang, C.-Y. Wen, Y.-C. Chen, J.-Y. Chang, C.-W. Ho, K.-S. Kao, W-C. Shih, C.-M. Chiu and Y.-A. Shen, in The 3 rdInternational Conference on Industrial Application Engineering 2015 (ICI-AE2015) (2015).Google Scholar
- 20.W.-C. Liao, F.-S. Liao, C.-T. Tsai and Y.-P. Yang, China Steel Technical Report, 25, 36 (2012).Google Scholar
- 25.J. W. Nicholson, The Chemistry of Polymers, Royal Society of Chemistry (2012).Google Scholar