Performance of polyacrylamide/Cr(III) gel polymer in oil recovery from heterogeneous porous media: An experimental study
- 97 Downloads
Water channeling due to reservoir heterogeneity is an important factor that could decrease the displacement efficiency of a water flooding process. In this study, the ability of polyacrylamide/ chromium acetate system on altering water path in heterogeneous layered media was investigated using glass bead micromodels. After the relevant parameters were optimized, a series of water and gel injection experiments were conducted in glass bead micromodel. The experimental results show that sweep efficiency is basically controlled by gel strength. The gel strength has a minor impact on the oil recovery from the higher permeable zone, whereas the oil recovery from the lower permeable zone is a strong function of gel strength. Gels with F and G strength codes were observed to divert the water path mostly into low permeable layers. Whereas, gels with B strength code or weaker would alter the water path within the higher permeable layers.
KeywordsGel Polymers Areal Sweep Efficiency Micromodel Water Production Heterogeneity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.R. S. Seright, Improved methods for water shutoff, Semmiannual Report, 82 (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Zaitoun and N. Kohler, Two-phase flow through porous media: Effect of an adsorbed polymer layer, SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Society of Petroleum Engineers (1988).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Heshmati, H. Mahdavi, M. Haghighi and M. Torabi, Visualization of polymer flooding in heterogeneous system using glass micromodels (2007).Google Scholar
- 21.F.A. L. Dullien, Porous media fluid transport and pore structure, http://public.eblib.com/EBLPublic/PublicView.do?ptiID=1130068 (accessed).Google Scholar
- 23.M. Simjoo, M. Vafaie Sefti, A. Dadvand Koohi, R. Hasheminasab and V. Sajadian, Iran J. Chem. Chem. Eng., 26, 99 (2007).Google Scholar
- 24.R.D. Sydansk and P. Argabright, United States Patent Patent (1987).Google Scholar
- 25.J.-R. A.A.B.Z. Ursin, Fundamentals of petroleum reservoir engineering (1997).Google Scholar