Reactive-extraction of 2,3-butanediol from fermentation broth by propionaldehyde: Equilibrium and kinetic study
- 229 Downloads
An effective process was developed to separate 2,3-butanediol (2,3-BD) from fermentation broth (FB) by reactive-extraction. Propionaldehyde (PRA) was used as reactant and reaction product 2-ethyl-4,5-dimethyl-1,3-dioxolane (EDD) acted as extractant. HCl was selected as catalyst. Appropriate conditions were obtained by experiment as follows: 10 °C, C HCl =0.2mol·L−1, two-stage cross-current extraction, reactant volume ratio (V PRA : V FB ) for first stage and second stage is 0.10 and 0.05, respectively. The yield rate of 2,3-butanediol for the whole process can reach 90% w/w, and 2,3-butanediol in the final product can be more than 99% w/w. The novel process required less solution and especially had advantages in treating dilute fermentation broth. Furthermore, equilibrium and kinetic study were investigated on the reaction of propionaldehyde and 2,3-butanediol to provide basic data for process development. The results reveal that reaction enthalpy and activation energy of the reaction were −21.84±2.38 KJ·mol−1 and 51.97±2.84 KJ·mol−1, respectively. Kinetics was well described by pseudo-homogeneous model.
Key words2,3-Butanediol Reactive-extraction Kinetics Propionaldehyde Fermentation Broth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 14.B. T. Xiang, S. F. Chen and D. H. Liu, J. Tsinghua University, 41, 53 (2001).Google Scholar
- 17.Y. J. Li, Y. Y. Wu, J.W. Zhu and J. X. Liu, Biotechnol. Biopro. Eng., 17, 317 (2012).Google Scholar
- 18.Z.M. Xie, W. M. Zhang and L.M. Zhang, Basic Chemistry, Science Press, Beijing (2009).Google Scholar
- 19.L. Zhang, Z.M. Xiu and X. Q. Yuan, Elements of chemical reaction engineering, East China University of Science and Technology Press, Shanghai (2000).Google Scholar
- 20.Y. Hu, R. D Lv, G. J. Liu and E. C. Hei, Physical Chemistry, Higher Education Press, Beijing (2007).Google Scholar
- 23.X. P. Wang and S. L. Xing, Tianjin Chem. Ind., 23(3), 40 (2009).Google Scholar