Nelumbo nucifera extracts as whitening and anti-wrinkle cosmetic agent
- 927 Downloads
Water extract from Nelumbo nucifera was tested for possible functional cosmetic agent. Whitening effect was measured by tyrosinase inhibition assay and DOPA-oxidase inhibition assay, and anti-wrinkle effect was checked by elastase inhibition assay. DOPA-oxidase inhibition effect (whitening effect) of Nelumbo nucifera’s leaf, seed and flower extract was 59%, 57% and 50%, respectively. Nelumbo nucifera’s leaf, seed and flower extract showed 56%, 49%, and 54% elastase inhibition (anti-wrinkle effect) at 200 μg/ml, while adenosine indicated 26% inhibition. Water cream including Nelumbo nucifera’s root, leaf, flower, stem extract did not cause significant skin irritation. Water cream including 4% Nelumbo nucifera extract was stable for 30 days under various temperature conditions. From the study, Nelumbo nucifera’s leaf, flower and seed extracts showed strong possibility for whitening and anti-wrinkle functional cosmetic agent.
Key wordsNelumbo nucifera Cosmetics Whitening Anti-wrinkle Safety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Zastrow, N. Groth, F. Klein, D. Kockott, J. Lademann and L. Ferrero, IFSCC, 11, 207 (2008).Google Scholar
- 2.T. Rudolph, P. Buhle, J. Beck, F. Plucker, K.-A. Reiffen and H. Buchlolz, IFSCC, 9, 211 (2006).Google Scholar
- 3.B.C. Ha, Cosmeceuticals, Shin Kwang Publishing, Seoul (2005).Google Scholar
- 4.KDA Textbook Editiong Board, Dermatology, 5th Ed., Ryo Mook Gak, Seoul (2008).Google Scholar
- 5.http://www.khidi.or.kr (2009).
- 6.Korea Food and Drug Administration, http://www.kfda.go.kr/index. html (2009).
- 7.P. Elsner and H. I. Mailbach, Cosmeceuticals and active cosmetics, 2nd Ed., Taylor & Francis, New York (2005).Google Scholar
- 8.J.Y. Kim, H. J. Yang, K.H. Lee, S.M. Jeon, Y. J. Ahn, B.R. Won and S. N. Park, J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea, 33, 165 (2007).Google Scholar
- 9.G. Vielhaber, G. Schmaus, K. Jacobs, H. Franke, S. Lange, M. Hermann, H. Joppe and O. Koch, IFSCC, 9, 227 (2006).Google Scholar
- 11.R. Pillai, M. Redmond and J. Roding, IFSCC, 8, 17 (2005).Google Scholar
- 12.J. C. Park, Functional food, Hyoil Books, Seoul (2007).Google Scholar
- 13.Y. Fujita, I. Hehara, Y. Morimoto, M. Nakashima, T. Hatano and T. Okuda, Yakugaku Zasshi, 108, 129 (1988).Google Scholar
- 14.J.Y. Kim, H. J. Yang, K.H. Lee, S.M. Jeon, Y. J. Ahn, B.R. Won and S. N. Park, J Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea, 33, 165 (2007).Google Scholar