A Simplified Model for the Effect of Weld-Induced Residual Stresses on the Axial Ultimate Strength of Stiffened Plates
- 80 Downloads
The present work investigates the compressive axial ultimate strength of fillet-welded steel-plated ship structures subjected to uniaxial compression, in which the residual stresses in the welded plates are calculated by a thermo-elasto-plastic finite element analysis that is used to fit an idealized model of residual stress distribution. The numerical results of ultimate strength based on the simplified model of residual stress show good agreement with those of various methods including the International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) Common Structural Rules (CSR), leading to the conclusion that the simplified model can be effectively used to represent the distribution of residual stresses in steel-plated structures in a wide range of engineering applications. It is concluded that the widths of the tension zones in the welded plates have a quasi-linear behavior with respect to the plate slenderness. The effect of residual stress on the axial strength of the stiffened plate is analyzed and discussed.
KeywordsFillet weld Finite element analysis Residual stress Ultimate strength
This work was performed within the Strategic Research Plan of the Centre for Marine Technology and Ocean Engineering, which is financed by Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia-FCT). The first author has been funded by a PhD scholarship from ABS, the American Bureau of Shipping.
- Gordo JM, Guedes Soares C, Faulkner D (1996) Approximate assessment of the ultimate longitudinal strength of the hull girder. J Ship Res 40:60–69Google Scholar
- International Association of Classification Societies (2006) Common structural rules for bulk carrier. IACS, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Smith CS (1977) Influence of local compressive failure on ultimate longitudinal strength of a ship’s hull. Proceedings of the International Symposium on PRADS, Tokyo, Japan, 73–79Google Scholar
- Smith CS, Anderson N, Chapman JC, Davidson PC, Dowling PJ (1992) Strength of stiffened plating under combined compression and lateral pressure. Trans RINA 134:131–147Google Scholar
- Yao T, Astrup OC, Caridis P, Chen YN, Cho SR, Dow RS et al (2000) Ultimate hull girder strength. ISSC Special Task Committee VI.2, Proceedings of the 14th International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress, Nagasaki, JapanGoogle Scholar