CFD simulation of fixed and variable pitch vertical axis tidal turbine
In this paper, hydrodynamic analysis of vertical axis tidal turbine (both fixed pitch & variable pitch) is numerically analyzed. Two-dimensional numerical modeling & simulation of the unsteady flow through the blades of the turbine is performed using ANSYS CFX, hereafter CFX, which is based on a Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) model. A transient simulation is done for fixed pitch and variable pitch vertical axis tidal turbine using a Shear Stress Transport turbulence (SST) scheme. Main hydrodynamic parameters like torque T, combined moment CM, coefficients of performance CP and coefficient of torque CT, etc. are investigated.
The modeling and meshing of turbine rotor is performed in ICEM-CFD. Moreover, the difference in meshing schemes between fixed pitch and variable pitch is also mentioned. Mesh motion option is employed for variable pitch turbine. This article is one part of the ongoing research on turbine design and developments. The numerical simulation results are validated with well reputed analytical results performed by Edinburgh Design Ltd. The article concludes with a parametric study of turbine performance, comparison between fixed and variable pitch operation for a four-bladed turbine. It is found that for variable pitch we get maximum CP and peak power at smaller revolution per minute N and tip sped ratio λ.
Keywordsvertical axis turbine tidal energy fixed pitch variable pitch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ANSYS CFX Release 13.0 help. Mechanical user guide. Documentation ANSYS Europe, Ltd.Google Scholar
- Coiro DP, Maisto U, Scherillo F, Melone S, Grasso F (2006). Horizontal axis tidal current turbine: Numerical and experimental investigations. Proceedings of the OWEMES, Civitavecchia, Italy, 20–22.Google Scholar
- Drees HM (1978). The Cycloturbine and its Potential for Broad Application. 2 nd International Symposium on Wind Energy Systems, 3–6, E7-82–E7-88.Google Scholar
- Edinburgh Design Ltd (2006). Variable pitch foils vertical axis tidal turbine final report. Project T/06/00234/00/00.Available at http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file30557.pdf [accessed on 05-06-2012]. GCK Technology. http://www.lucidenergy.com/gck [accessed on 04.04.2012].Google Scholar
- McConnell RD (1979). Giro-mill overview. Wind Energy Innovative Systems Conference, Colorado Springs, USA, 1–14.Google Scholar
- Meikle PJ (1993). A Family of novel vertical axis wind Turbines. Univ. of Melbourne, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Pawsey NCK (2002). Development and evaluation of passive variable-pitch vertical axis wind turbines. PhD Thesis, The University of New South Wales, Kingsford, Australia.Google Scholar
- Salvatore F, Greco L, Calcagno G. A Theoretical & computational methodology to study vertical-axis turbines hydrodynamics. (http://220.127.116.11/test/owemes/34.pdf [accessed on: 12.04.2012]
- Sun Y, Zhang L (2012). Airfoil optimization of vertical-axis turbines based on CFD method. 2 nd International Conf. on Computer Modeling & Simulation, 199–202.Google Scholar