Frequency diversity for OFDM mobile communication via underwater acoustic channels
- 266 Downloads
The major constraint on the performance of orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) based underwater acoustic (UWA) communication is to keep subcarriers orthogonal. In this paper, Doppler estimation and the respective compensation technique along with various diversity techniques were deliberated for OFDM-based systems best suited for underwater wireless information exchange. In practice, for mobile communication, adjustment and tuning of transducers in order to get spatial diversity is extremely difficult. Considering the relatively low coherence bandwidth in UWA, the frequency diversity design with the Doppler compensation function was elaborated here. The outfield experiments of mobile underwater acoustic communication (UWAC) based on OFDM were carried out with 0.17 bit/(s·Hz) spectral efficiency. The validity and the dependability of the scheme were also analyzed.
Keywordsunderwater acoustic channel orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) underwater acoustic communication frequency diversity Doppler estimation Doppler compensation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duman TM, Ghrayeb A (2008). Coding for MIMO communication system. Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing, China, 14–29.Google Scholar
- Hui Junying, Sheng Xueli (2007). Underwater acoustic channel (2nd edition). National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, China, 37–40.Google Scholar
- Huang Jianchun, Guo Shengming, Guo Zhongyuan, Chen Geng (2009). Doppler compensation on underwater acoustic wideband signals. Technical Acoustics, 28(2), 99–103.Google Scholar
- Li Baosheng, Zhou Shengli, Stojanovic M (2007). Non-uniform Doppler compensation for zero-padded OFDM over fast-varying underwater acoustic channels. OCEANS 2007-Europe, Aberdeen, 1–6.Google Scholar
- Lin Yun, He Feng (2010). Principle and application of MIMO technology. Posts & Telecom Press, Beijing, China, 247–253.Google Scholar
- Kang Taehyuk, Litis RA (2008). Matching pursuits channel estimation for an underwater acoustic OFDM modem. 2008 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Las Vegas, 5296–5299.Google Scholar
- Wang Wei (2010). Diversity and Doppler shift compensation in OFDM communication over underwater acoustic channels. Master thesis, Harbin: Harbin Engineering University, 31–43.Google Scholar
- Xu Xiaoka (2009). The study of the key technologies for high-speed shallow water acoustic communication based on OFDM. PhD thesis, Harbin Engineering University, Harbin, 56–63.Google Scholar