Fragility curves of concrete bridges retrofitted by column jacketing
- 254 Downloads
The Northridge earthquake inflicted various levels of damage upon a large number of Caltrans’ bridges not retrofitted by column jacketing. In this respect, this study represents results of fragility curve development for two (2) sample bridges typical in southern California, strengthened for seismic retrofit by means of steel jacketing of bridge columns. Monte Carlo simulation is performed to study nonlinear dynamic responses of the bridges before and after column retrofit. Fragility curves in this study are represented by lognormal distribution functions with two parameters and developed as a function of PGA. The sixty (60) ground acceleration time histories for the Los Angeles area developed for the Federal Emergency Management Agcncy (FEMA) SAC (SEAOC-ATC-CUREe) steel project are used for the dynamic analysis of the bridges. The improvement in the fragility with steel jacketing is quantified by comparing fragility curves of the bridge before and after column retrofit. In this first attempt to formulate the problem of fragility enhancement, the quantification is made by comparing the median values of the fragility curves before and after the retrofit. Under the hypothesis that this quantification also applies to empirical fragility curves developed on the basis of Northridge earthquake damage, the enhanced version of the empirical curves is developed for the ensuing analysis to determine the enhancement of transportation network performance due to the retrofit.
Keywordsfragility curves concrete bridges retrofit column jacketing nonlinear dynamic analysis ductility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Basoz N and Kiremidjian AS (1998), “Evaluation of Bridge Damage Data from the Loma Prieta and Northridge, California Earthquake,” Technical Report MCEER-98-0004, Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USAGoogle Scholar
- Buckle IG (Editor) (1994), “The Northridge, California Earthquake of January 17, 1994: Performance of Highway Bridge,” Technical Report, NCEER-94-0008, National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA.Google Scholar
- Chai YH, Priestley MJN and Seible F (1991), “Seismic Retrofit of Circular Bridge Columns for Enhanced Flexural Performance,” ACI Structural Journal, 8(5): 572–584.Google Scholar
- Computer and Structures, Inc. (2002), SAP2000/Non-linear Users Manual Version 8, Berkeley, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Dutta A and Mander JB (1999), “Seismic Fragility Analysis of Highway Bridges,” Proceedings of the Center-to-Center Project Workshop on Earthquake Engineering in Transportation Systems, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Priestley MJN, Seible F and Calvi GM (1996), Seismic Design and Retrofit of Bridges, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: 270–273.Google Scholar