Research on China’s aquaculture efficiency evaluation and influencing factors with undesirable outputs
- 118 Downloads
Taking the aquaculture area, the number of farming boats and that of aquaculturist as input variables, the aquaculture production as desirable output variable and polluted economic loss as undesirable output variable, this paper conducts SBM model to evaluate the aquaculture efficiency based on the data of 16 aquaculture-developed provinces in China from 2004 to 2011. The results show the efficiency in China has not changed much in recent years with the efficiency values mainly between 0.39 and 0.53, and the efficiency of marine-aquaculture-dominated provinces is generally higher than that of freshwater-aquaculture-dominated ones. To analyze the difference under the efficiency, the panel Tobit model is used with education level factor, training factor, technology extension factor, technical level factor, scale factor and species factor as the efficiency influencing factors. The results show that technology extension factor and technical level factor have significant positive influence.
KeywordsChina’s aquaculture industry efficiency evaluation influencing factors SBM model panel Tobit model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bao, X. T., Xu, H., Zhang, J. H., and Ding, J. D., 2012. The best management practices about aquaculture of non-point source pollution control. South China Fisheries Science, 8 (3): 79–86.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y. S., Fang, R. J., and Qiao, J., 2012. China marine aquaculture development research. Journal of Agricultural Economy, (6): 72–78.Google Scholar
- Hu, H. Y., Lu, J. W., and Yang, H. S., 2003. Ecological function of macroalgae in fish culture system. Marine Sciences, 27 (2): 19–21.Google Scholar
- Lin, D. N., Gu, X. B., and Feng, B., 2007. Technical efficiency evaluation of maoming fishery production based on DEA. Journal of Maoming College, 17 (3): 70–73.Google Scholar
- Meng, Q. W., 2013. Research on the influence of science and technology innovation on mariculture and fine processing of aquatic products. Ocean Development and Management, (8): 94–97.Google Scholar
- Miao, W. M., Yuan, X. H., Qian, J. R., and Su, X. Y., 2003. Research on cyprinidae fish pond farming technical efficiency. China Fishery Economy, (4): 30–5.Google Scholar
- Sun, Z. M., 2012. An empirical study on production factors’ elasticity of water aquaculture in China: Based on trans-log production function. Chinese Fisheries Economics, 30 (3): 133–139.Google Scholar
- Tone, K., 2004. Dealing with undesirable outputs in DEA: A Slacks-Based Measure (SBM) approach. Nippon Opereshonzu, Risachi Gakkai Shunki Kenkyu Happyokai Abusutorakutoshu, 44–45.Google Scholar
- Wang, D. L., 2013. Research on China aquaculture production efficiency and its influencing factors. Ocean Development and Management, (2): 94–98.Google Scholar