Study on the free radical scavenging activity of sea cucumber (Paracaudina chinens var.) gelatin hydrolysate
- 132 Downloads
Gelatin from the sea cucumber (Paracaudina chinens var.) was hydrolyzed by bromelain and the hydrolysate was found to have a high free radical scavenging activity. The hydrolysate was fractionated through an ultrafiltration membrane with 5 kDa molecular weight cutoff (MWCO). The portion (less than 5 kDa) was further separated by Sephadex G-25. The active peak was collected and assayed for free radical scavenging activity. The scavenging rates for superoxide anion radicals (O2·−) and hydroxyl radicals (·OH) of the fraction with the highest activity were 29.02% and 75.41%, respectively. A rabbit liver mitochondrial free radical damage model was adopted to study the free radical scavenging activity of the fraction. The results showed that the sea cucumber gelatin hydrolysate can prevent the damage of rabbit liver and mitochondria.
Key wordsParacaudina chinens var. gelatin hydrolysate free radical scavenging activity mitochondria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kim, S. K., H. G. Byun, and E. H. Lee, 1994. Optimum extraction conditions of gelatin from fish skins and its physical properties. J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 5: 547–559.Google Scholar
- Kim, S. K., Y. T. Kim, and H. G. Byun, 2001. Isolation and characterization of antioxidative peptides from gelatin hydrolysate of Alaska pollack skin. J. Agric. Food Chem., 49: 1 984–1 989.Google Scholar
- Li, X. T., and M. B. Gao, 2004. Effects of auricularia polysaccharide on scavenging reactive oxygen species and protecting mitochondria. Food. Sci., 25(1): 171–173 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Liu, Z. Q., and Y. F. Hu, 2001. A simple method for determination of malondialdehyde. J. Gansu Coll. Traditional Med., 18(3): 13–15 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Lu, X. Y., 1997. Effect of d-catechin on mitochondria injury in rat liver induced by ascorbate and FeSO4. Acta Biophy. Sinica, 13(1): 35–39.Google Scholar
- Miao, Z. W., and W. H. Zhou, 1999. Synthesis, characterization and activity determination of four superoxide dismutase mimetic complexes. Youji Huaxue, 19: 537–541 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Xu, L., X. L. Li, and X. X. Wu, 2004. Preparation and structural characterization of a new corn anti-oxidative peptide. Chem. Univ., 25: 466–469 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar
- Zhu, L. N., and Q. L. Xu, 2004. Scavenging effect of the hydrolysates from hypohthalmicthys molitrix meat protein on hydroxyl radical. J. Fish., 28: 95–99 (in Chinese with English abstract).Google Scholar