Coherent quadrature phase shift keying optical communication systems
- 16 Downloads
Coherent optical fiber communications for data rates of 100 Gbit/s and beyond have recently been studied extensively because high sensitivity of coherent receivers could extend the transmission distance. Spectrally efficient modulation techniques such as M-ary phase shift keying (PSK) can be employed for coherent optical links. The integration of multi-level modulation formats based on coherent technologies with wavelength-division multiplexed (WDM) systems is vital to meet the aggregate bandwidth demand. This paper reviews coherent quadrature PSK (QPSK) systems to scale the network capacity and maximum reach of coherent optical communication systems to accommodate traffic growth.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The author would like to acknowledge the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation for their support.
- S. Tsukamoto, D.-S. Ly-Gagnon, K. Katoh and K. Kikuchi, Coherent Demodulation of 40-Gbit/s Polarization-multiplexed QPSK Signals with 16-GHz Spacing After 200-km Transmission, Proc. OFC, Paper PDP29 (2005).Google Scholar
- K. Kikuchi, Coherent Optical Communication Technology, Proc. OFC, Paper Th4F.4 (2015).Google Scholar
- H. Nakashima, T. Oyama, C. Ohshima, Y. Akiyama, T. Hoshida and Z. Tao, Digital Nonlinear Compensation Technologies in Coherent Optical Communication Systems, Proc. OFC, Paper W1G.5 (2017).Google Scholar
- R. Griffin and A. Carter, Optical Differential Quadrature Phase-shift Key (ODQPSK) for High Capacity Optical Transmission, Proc. OFC, Paper WX6 (2002).Google Scholar
- R. No’e, Phase Noise Tolerant Synchronous QPSK Receiver Concept with Digital I&Q Baseband Processing, Proc. Opto-Electronics and Communications Conf., Paper 16C2-5 (2004).Google Scholar
- S. Tsukamoto, Y. Ishikawa and K. Kikuchi, Optical Homodyne Receiver Comprising Phase and Polarization Diversities with Digital Signal Processing, Proc. ECOC, Paper Mo4.2.1 (2006).Google Scholar
- S. Ishimura and K. Kikuchi, Multi-dimensional Permutation Modulation Aiming at Both High Spectral Efficiency and High Power Efficiency, Proc. OFC/NFOEC, Paper M3A.2 (2014).Google Scholar
- T. Koike-Akino, D. S. Millar, K. Kojima and K. Parsons, Eight-Dimensional Modulation for Coherent Optical Communications, Proc. ECOC, Paper Tu.3.C.3 (2013).Google Scholar
- L. Kazovsky, S. Benedetto and A. Willner, Optical Fiber Communication Systems, Artech House, 267 (1996).Google Scholar