Isolation and application of an ibuprofen-degrading bacterium to a biological aerated filter for the treatment of micro-polluted water
- 50 Downloads
Ibuprofen (IBU) is widely used in the world as anti-inflammatory drug, which posed health risk to the environment. A bacterium capable of degrading IBU was isolated from activated sludge in a sewage treatment plant. According to its morphological, physiologic, and biochemical characteristics, as well as 16S rRNA sequence analysis, the strain was identified as Serratia marcescens BL1 (BL1). Degradation of IBU required the presence of primary substrate. After a five-day cultivation with yeast powder at 30°C and pH 7, the highest degradation (93.47%±2.37%) was achieved. The process of BL1 degrading IBU followed first-order reaction kinetics. The BL1 strain was applied to a small biological aerated filter (BAF) device to form a biofilm with activated sludge. IBU removal by the BAF was consistent with the results of static tests. The removal of IBU was 32.01% to 44.04% higher than for a BAF without BL1. The indigenous bacterial community was able to effectively remove CODMn (permanganate index) and ammonia nitrogen in the presence of BL1.
KeywordsIbuprofen Biological aerated filter Degrading bacterium Serratia marcescens
This work was funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 21767013 and 51741805) and the Natural Science Foundation of Jiangxi Province (No. 20151BA B213018).
- Abu Hasan H, Sheikh Abdullah S R, Al-Attabi A W N, Nash D A H, Anuar N, Abd. Rahman N, Sulistiyaning Titah H (2016). Removal of ibuprofen, ketoprofen, COD and nitrogen compounds from pharmaceutical wastewater using aerobic suspension-sequencing batch reactor (ASSBR). Separation and Purification Technology, 157(1): 215–221CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Han S, Choi K, Kim J, Ji K, Kim S, Ahn B, Yun J, Choi K, Khim J S, Zhang X, Giesy J P (2010). Endocrine disruption and consequences of chronic exposure to ibuprofen in Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes) and freshwater cladocerans Daphnia magna and Moina macrocopa. Aquatic Toxicology (Amsterdam, Netherlands), 98(3): 256–264CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lindholm-Lehto P C, Ahkola H S J, Knuutinen J S, Herve S H (2016). Widespread occurrence and seasonal variation of pharmaceuticals in surface waters and municipal wastewater treatment plants in central Finland. Environmental Science and Pollution Research International, 23(8): 7985–7997CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Environmental Protection of the People’s Republic of China (1989). Water quality-Determination of permanganate index. Available online at https://doi.org/kjs.mep.gov.cn/hjbhbz/bzwb/jcffbz/199007/t19900701_67130.shtml (accessed July 19, 2018) (in Chinese)
- Ministry of Environmental Protection of the People’s Republic of China (2009). Water quality-Determination of ammonia nitrogen-Nessler’s reagent spectrophotometry. Available online at https://doi.org/kjs.mep.gov.cn/hjbhbz/bzwb/jcffbz/201001/t20100112_184155.shtml (accessed July 19, 2018) (in Chinese)
- Phan H V, Hai F I, Mcdonald J A, Khan S J, Zhang R, Price W E, Broeckmann A, Nghiem L D (2015). Nutrient and trace organic contaminant removal from wastewater of a resort town: comparison between a pilot and a full scale membrane bioreactor. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 102(1): 40–48CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pietrini F, Di Baccio D, Aceña J, Pérez S, Barceló D, Zacchini M (2015). Ibuprofen exposure in Lemna gibba L.: Evaluation of growth and phytotoxic indicators, detection of ibuprofen and identification of its metabolites in plant and in the medium. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 300(1): 189–193CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Qim Y, Li D, Yang H (2007). Population diversity and community structure of bacteria on biofilms in a potable water pretreating bioreactor. Chinese Journal of Applied and Environmental Biology, 13(1): 104–107Google Scholar
- Shen P, Chen X (2007). Microbiology experiment. In: Shen P, Chen X, eds. Physiological and Biochemical Experiment for Microorganism Identification. 4th ed. Beijing: Higher Education Press, 111–127(in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Trzcinski A P, Ganda L, Kunacheva C, Zhang D Q, Lin L L, Tao G, Lee Y, Ng W J (2016). Characterization and biodegradability of sludge from a high rate A-stage contact tank and B-stage membrane bioreactor of a pilot-scale AB system treating municipal wastewaters. Water Science &Technology, 74(7): 1716–1725CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Y, Lv T, Carvalho P N, Arias C A, Chen Z, Brix H (2016). Removal of the pharmaceuticals ibuprofen and iohexol by four wetland plant species in hydroponic culture: plant uptake and microbial degradation. Environmental Science and Pollution Research International, 23(3): 2890–2898CrossRefGoogle Scholar