N2O emission from a sequencing batch reactor for biological N and P removal from wastewater
- 127 Downloads
Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a greenhouse gas that can be released during biological nitrogen removal from wastewater. N2O emission from a sequencing batch reactor (SBR) for biological nitrogen and phosphorus removal from wastewater was investigated, and the aims were to examine which process, nitrification or denitrification, would contribute more to N2O emission and to study the effects of heterotrophic activities on N2O emission during nitrification. The results showed that N2O emission was mainly attributed to nitrification rather than to denitrification. N2O emission during denitrification mainly occurred with stored organic carbon as the electron donor. During nitrification, N2O emission was increased with increasing initial ammonium or nitrite concentrations. The ratio of N2O emission to the removed ammonium nitrogen (N2ON/NH4-N) was 2.5% in the SBR system with high heterotrophic activities, while this ratio was in the range from 0.14% to 1.06% in batch nitrification experiments with limited heterotrophic activities.
Keywordsbiological nutrient removal denitrification greenhouse gas nitrification nitrous oxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IPCC. Climate Change 2001: the Scientific Basis, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, UK, 2001Google Scholar
- 16.APHA. AWWA, WEF. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (20th ed). Washington DC, USA, 1999.Google Scholar
- 17.Karr D B, Waters J K, Emerich D W. Analysis of poly-β-hydroxybutyrate in Rhizobium japonicum bacteroids by ionexclusion high-pressure liquid chromatography and UV detection. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 1983, 46(6): 1339–1344Google Scholar
- 19.Hanaki K, Hong Z, Matsuo T. Production of nitrous oxide gas during denitrification of wastewater. Water Science and Technology, 1992, 26(5–6): 1027–1036Google Scholar
- 20.Kishida N, Kim J H, Kimochi Y, Nishimura O, Sasaki H, Sudo R. Effect of C/N ratio on nitrous oxide emission from swine wastewater treatment process. Water Science and Technology, 2004, 49(5-6): 359–365Google Scholar