Assessing performance of collision mitigation brake system in Chinese traffic environment
- 7 Downloads
Advanced driver-assistance systems such as Honda’s collision mitigation brake system (CMBS) can help achieve traffic safety. In this paper, the naturalistic driving study and a series of simulations are combined to better evaluate the performance of the CMBS in the Chinese traffic environment. First, because safety-critical situations can be diverse especially in the Chinese environment, the Chinese traffic-accident characteristics are analyzed according to accident statistics over the past 17 years. Next, 10 Chinese traffic-accident scenarios accounting for more than 80% of traffic accidents are selected. For each typical scenario, 353 representative cases are collected from the traffic-management department of Beijing. These real-world accident cases are then reconstructed by the traffic-accident-reconstruction software PC-Crash on the basis of accident-scene diagrams. This study also proposes a systematic analytical process for estimating the effectiveness of the technology using the co-simulation platform of PC-Crash and rateEFFECT, in which 176 simulations are analyzed in detail to assess the accident-avoidance performance of the CMBS. The overall collision-avoidance effectiveness reaches 82.4%, showing that the proposed approach is efficient for avoiding collisions, thereby enhancing traffic safety and improving traffic management.
Key wordsactive-safety technology effectiveness assessment accident reconstruction autonomous emergency braking PC-Crash
先进驾驶辅助系统,如本田的碰撞缓解制动系统(CMBS),有助于保障交通安全。本文采用自 然驾驶数据分析与仿真结合的方法,能更好地评估CMBS 在中国交通环境中的性能。首先,由于中国 交通环境中安全危急情况的多样性,本文根据过去17 年的交通事故统计数据,分析了中国交通事故 的特点;其次,筛选出占我国交通事故80%以上的10 种交通事故情景,并从北京市交通管理部门收 集了353 个具有代表性的真实事故案例。所有的真实事故案例都基于事故现场图,通过交通事故重建 软件PC-Crash 实现了事故场景重建。最终通过搭建PC-Crash 和rateEFFECT 联合仿真平台并进行了 总计176 组仿真,对CMBS 的避撞有效性进行了系统性的分析和评估。结果显示,其总体避碰效果达 到82.4%,说明该系统具有良好的避碰性能,能够提高交通安,改善交通管理。
关键词主动安全技术 性能评估 事故重建 自动紧急制动 PC-Crash
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We appreciate HUANG He-ye and CHEN Long for their valuable comments and helpful work. We would also like to thank ZHANG Wen-hao, WANG Xin-peng, LIU Yi-cong, XU Meng-di, and WU Qing-hui for their help with data collection and accidents reconstruction. In addition, we are very grateful to DOU Yang-liu and HUANG Bin for their help in language expression of this manuscript.
- TMBPSM. The PRC road traffic accident statistics annual report [R]. Traffic Management Bureau of the Public Security Ministry [2018-03-20]. http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjsj/ndsj/. (in Chinese)
- ANDERSON R W, DOECKE S, MACKENZIE J R, PONTE G, PAINE D, PAINE M. Potential benefits of forward collision avoidance technology [R]. Queensland: Centre for Automatiove Safety Research, 2012. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281236925.Google Scholar
- PARK M K, LEE S Y, KWON C K, KIM S W. Design of pedestrian target selection with funnel map for pedestrian AEB system [J]. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2017, 66(5): 3597–3609. DOI: 10.1109/TVT.2016.2604420.Google Scholar
- SOLEY Alexander. Regulation, industry, and the internet of cars [J]. DigiWorld Economic Journal, 2017, 105. https://scholar.google.com.hk/scholar?cluster=11085340613508884825&hl=zh-CN&as_sdt=0,5 Google Scholar
- PAINE M, PAINE D, SMITH J, CASE M, HALEY J, WORDEN S. Vehicle safety trends and the influence of NCAP safety ratings [J]. ESC. 2015, 20(41): 85. https://www-esv.nhtsa.dot.gov/proceedings/24/files/24ESV-000328.PDF.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- C-NCAP. C-NCAP administrative rules (2018 edition) [EB/OL]. [2018-07-20]. http://www.c-ncap.org/. (in Chinese)
- BAI Jie, CHEN Si-han, CUI Hua, BI Xin, HUANG Li-bo. 3D automotive millimeter-wave radar with two-dimensional electronic scanning [J]. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2017. DOI: 10.4271/2017-01-0047.Google Scholar
- HSU Ping-min, LI Ming-hung, CHANG Kuo-ching. Noise filtering in autonomous emergency braking systems with sensor fusions [J]. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2015. DOI: 10.4271/2015-01-0216.Google Scholar
- WU Ye, ZHANG Shao-jun, HAO Ji-ming, LIU Huan, WU Xiao-meng, HU Jing-nan, WALSHM P, WALLINGTON T J, ZHANG K M. On-road vehicle emissions and their control in China: A review and outlook [J]. Science of the Total Environment. 2017, 574: 332–349. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.09.040.Google Scholar
- Honda China released 2016 terminal car sales [EB/OL]. [2108-07-24]. http://www.honda.com.cn/news/detail.php?id=20170106_01. (in Chinese)
- SUGIMOTO Y, SAUER C. Effectiveness estimation method for advanced driver assistance system and its application to collision mitigation brake system [C]// Proceedings of the 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2005: 05–0148. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4c48/e9da097ec84ed0955131686b9f28efacb64a.pdf.Google Scholar
- KUEHN M, HUMMEL T, BENDE J. Benefit estimation of advanced driver assistance systems for cars derived from real-life accidents [C]// 21st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles ESV. Stuttgart, Germany, 2009: 18–27. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7cff/312487fcace01e5506806604a12648e3762f.pdf.Google Scholar
- TOROYAN T, IAYCH K, PEDEN M. Global status report on road safety 2015 [R]. Geneva: World Health Organization, [2015-11-03]. http://www.who.int/entity/roadsafety/events/2015/Appendix_15.pdf?ua=1.