Synthesis, structure, DNA binding and cleavage activity of a new copper(II) complex of bispyridylpyrrolide
- 150 Downloads
A copper-bispyridylpyrrolide complex [Cu(PDPH)Cl] (PDPH = 2,5-bis(2′-pyridyl)pyrrole) was synthesized and characterized. The complex crystallizes in the orthorhombic system with space group Pccn, a = 0.9016(3) nm, b = 1.0931(4) nm, c = 2.5319(8) nm, and V = 2.4951(15) nm3. The copper center is situated in a square planar geometry. The interaction of the copper(II) complex with calf thymus DNA (CT-DNA) was investigated by electronic absorption, circular dichroism (CD) and fluorescence spectra. It is proposed that the complex binds to CT-DNA through groove binding mode. Nuclease activity of the complex was also studied by gel electrophoresis method. The complex can efficiently cleave supercoiled pBR322 DNA in the presence of ascorbate (H2A) via oxidative pathway. The preliminary mechanism of DNA cleavage by the complex with different inhibiting reagents indicates that the hydroxyl radicals were involved as the active species in the DNA cleavage process.
Key wordscopper complex bispyridylpyrrolide DNA-binding DNA cleavage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- SIGMAN D S, GRAHAM D R, AURORA V D, STERN A M. Oxygen-dependent cleavage of DNA by the 1, 10-phenanthroline. cuprous complex. Inhibition of Escherichia coli DNA polymerase I [J]. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 1979, 254(24): 12269–12272.Google Scholar
- PATRA A K, DHAR S, NETHAJI M, CHAKRAVARTY A R. Metal-assisted red light-induced DNA cleavage by ternary L-methionine copper(II) complexes of planar heterocyclic bases [J]. Dalton Transactions, 2005(5): 896–902.Google Scholar
- TERENZI A, TOMASELLO L, SPINELLO A, BRUNO G, GIORDANO C, BARONE G. (dipyrido 3,2-a:2′,3′-c] henazine) glycinato) copper(II) perchlorate: A novel DNA-intercalator with anti-proliferative activity against thyroid cancer cell lines [J]. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 2012, 117: 103–110CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- BALDINI M, BELICCHI-FERRARI M, BISCEGLIE F, DALL’AGLIO P P, PELOSI G, PINELLI S, TARASCONI P. Copper(II) complexes with substituted thiosemicarbazones of α-ketoglutaric acid: Synthesis, X-ray structures, DNA binding studies, and nuclease and biological activity [J]. Inorganic Chemistry, 2004, 43(22): 7170–7179.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- GOMEZ-SAIZ P, GIL-GARCA R, MAESTRO M A, PIZARRO J L, ARRIORTUA M I, LEZAMA L, ROJO T, GONZALEZ-ALVAREZ M, BORRAS J, GARCIA-TOJAL J. Structure, magnetic properties and nuclease activity of pyridine-2-carbaldehyde thiosemicarbazone copper(II) complexes [J]. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 2008, 102(10): 1910–1920.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- JAYAMANI A, THAMILARASAN V, SENGOTTUVELAN N, MANISANKAR P, KANG S W, KIM Y I, GANESAN V. Synthesis of mononuclear copper(II) complexes of acyclic Schiff’s base ligands: Spectral, structural, electrochemical, antibacterial, DNA binding and cleavage activity [J]. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 2014, 122C: 365–374.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ZHANG Shou-chun, ZHU Yang-guang, TU Chao, WEI Hai-ying, YANG Zhen, LIN Li-ping, DING Jian, ZHANG Jun-feng, GUO Zi-jian. A novel cytotoxic ternary copper(II) complex of 1,10-phenanthroline and L-threonine with DNA nuclease activity [J]. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 2004, 98(12): 2099–2106.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MANIKANDAMATHAVAN V M, RAJAPANDIAN V, FREDDY A J, WEYHERMULLER T, SUBRAMANIAN V, NAIR B U. Effect of coordinated ligands on antiproliferative activity and DNA cleavage property of three mononuclear Cu(II)-terpyridine complexes [J]. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2012, 57: 449–458.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- JONES R A, KARATZA M, VORO T N, CIVEIR P U, FRANCK A P, WILLIAMSON D J. Extended heterocyclic systems 1. The synthesis and characterisation of pyrrolylpyridines, alternating pyrrole: Pyridine oligomers and polymers, and related systems [J]. Tetrahedron, 1996, 52(26): 8707–8724.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- SHELDRICK G M. SADABS, program for empirical absorption correction of are detector data [M]. Germany: University of Göttingen, 1996.Google Scholar
- SHELDRICK G M. SHELXTL version 5.10 [M]. Madison, Wisconsin, USA: Bruker AXS Inc, 1997Google Scholar