Shear-thickening rheological response of PCC/PEG suspensions
- 250 Downloads
The steady and dynamic rheological behaviors of precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) suspension in polyethylene glycol (PEG) were investigated on a TA AR2000ex rheometer. Under steady shear consistency index K and flow exponent N of suspensions with different volume fractions were determined. The shear-thinning and the discontinuous shear-thickening behavior were observed at different constant frequencies from 10 to 100 rad/s. The relationship between the complex viscosity and the constant frequency were determined. As the volume fraction increases, flow exponent N shows a rapid increase, and it increases dramatically when the discontinuous shear-thickening takes place, while consistency index K decreases. Dynamic oscillatory shear experiments were conducted at constant strain amplitude and constant frequency, respectively. For the frequency sweep, the system shows viscous property in entire range of the frequency investigated, and the complex viscosity shows discontinuous jump at a critical frequency of 10 rad/s. For the strain sweep, on the other hand, at low strain the elastic modulus is strongly dependent on the strain, and the viscous modulus is independent of the strain. But at the critical strain point both of the moduli show an abrupt jump and the system transits from elastic to viscous at a strain of 0.1.
Key wordsprecipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) suspension rheological response shear-thickening steady shear dynamic shear frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- WU Qiu-mei, RUAN Jian-ming, HUANG Bai-yun, ZHOU Zhong-cheng, ZOU Jian-peng. Study on the rheological of SiO2 dispersions with low volume fraction[J]. Acta Chim Sinica, 2006, 64(15): 1543–1547. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- EGRES R G, LEE Y S, KIRKWOOD J E, KIRKWOOD K M, WETZEL E D, WANGNER N J. Liquid armor: Protective fabrics utilizing shear-thickening fluids[C]//Proceeding of Industrial Fabrics Associational International Conference on Safety and Protective Fabrics. Pittsburgh, 2004.Google Scholar
- WETZEL E D, LEE Y S, EGRES R G, KIRKWOOD K M, KIRKWOOD J E, WAGNER N J. The effect of rheological parameters on the ballistic properties of shear-thickening fluid (STF) Kevlar composites[C]//Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Industrial Forming Processes. Columbus, 2004.Google Scholar
- YANG Hai-lin, RUAN Jian-ming, WU Qiu-mei, ZHOU Zhong-cheng, ZOU Jian-peng. Rheological behaviors of SiO2/PEG suspension under the dynamic shear[J]. Acta Physico-Chimica Sinica, 2008, 24(3): 433–436.Google Scholar
- EGRES R G, WAGNER N J. The rheology and Rheo-SANS microstructure analysis of shear-thickening acicular precipitated calcium carbonate dispersions[C]//Proceedings of the 14th International Congress on Rheology. Seoul, 2004.Google Scholar