Flexural strength of zirconia/stainless steel functionally graded materials
- 128 Downloads
Zirconia/stainless steel (ZrO2/SUS316L) functionally graded materials (FGMs) were fabricated by tape casting and laminating. Microstructures of FGMs were observed by optical microscope. Fracture behavior of FGMs in different loading modes and influences of different gradient changes on flexural strength were investigated. The results show that ZrO2/ SUS316L FGMs with graded components at interlayers are obtained after they are sintered in vacuum and pressureless condition at 1 350 °C. The I–II mixed mode crack creates in composite layer and grows to both sides zigzag while loading on ZrO2 layer. Flexural strengths are 496.4, 421.7 and 387.5 MPa when gradient changes are 10%, 15% and 20%, but flexural strengths of the corresponding fracture layers are 387.1, 334.6 and 282.3 MPa since cracks of FGMs are affected by three-dimensional stress, respectively. The cracks are generated in ZrO2 layer and extend to SUS316L layer while loading is added on SUS316L layer, flexural strength does not change with the graded components and keeps consistent basically.
Key wordsZrO2 functionally graded materials flexural strength fracture tape casting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- MITTEAU R, MISSIAEN J M, BRUSTOLIN P, OZER O, DUROCHER A, RUSET C, LUNGU C P, COURTOIS X, DOMINICY C, MAIER H, GRISOLIA C, PIAZZA G, CHAPPUIS P. Recent developments toward the use of tungsten as armour material in plasma facing components[J]. Fusion Engineering and Design, 2007, 82(15/24): 1700–1705.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ANNIKA P, PERNILLA M, PATRIK L, MATS N. Titanium-titanium diboride composites as part of a gradient amour material[J]. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2005, 32(1/4): 387–399.Google Scholar
- HAN Hui, LI Jun, JIAO Li-juan, LI Nan. Study on the application of ceramic-metal composite materials in bulletproof field[J]. Material Review, 2007, 21(2): 34–37. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- LU Yun. Advance composites[M]. Beijing: China Machine Press, 2003. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- ZHANG Shao-qin, ZHANG Ke-wei, YANG Wei-yang. Fracture analysis of mode I crack in functional gradient materials[J]. Journal of Taiyuan University of Technology, 2005, 36(4): 173–176. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- ZHANG Shao-qin, ZHANG Ke-wei, YANG Wei-yang. Fracture analysis of mode II crack in functional gradient materials[J]. Journal of North University of China: Natural Science, 2006, 27(6): 644–648. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- NIKHIL G, SANDEEP K G, BENJAMIN J M. Analysis of a functionally graded particulate composite under flexural loading conditions[J]. Materials Science and Engineering A, 2008, 485(1/2): 439–447.Google Scholar
- ZHAO Kang, LI Jun, TANG Yu-fei, XU Lei. Fabrication and properties of ZrO2/stainless steel functionally graded materials by tape casting[J]. Journal of the Chinese Ceramic Society, 2008, 36(8): 1042–1046. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- ODEGARD C, BRONSON A. The reactive liquid processing of ceramic-metal composites[J]. Journal of Minerals, 1997, 49(6): 52–54.Google Scholar