Recycling of industrial waste and performance of steel slag green concrete
- 451 Downloads
Workability and mechanical properties of steel slag green concrete with different types of steel slag and different dosages of admixtures were investigated. The effectiveness of steel slag powder on suppressing alkali aggregate reaction (AAR) expansion was assessed using the method of ASTM C441 and accelerated test method. Experimental results show that mechanical properties can be improved further due to the synergistic effect and mutual activation when compound mineral admixtures with steel slag powder and blast-furnace slag powder are mixed into concrete. In addition, about 50% decrease in expansion rate of mortar bars with mineral admixtures can be achieved in AAR tests. Mineral admixtures with steel slag powder as partial replacement for Portland cement in concrete is an effective means for controlling expansion due to AAR.
Key wordsconcrete steel slag mechanical properties durability alkali aggregate reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- SUN Shu-shan, ZHU Gui-lin, ZHANG Yu. Application technology of iron and steel slag in China [J]. China Waste Steel, 2007, 4(2): 21–28. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- MUHAMMAD I A K, EMMANUEL R. Effect of mineral additives on some of durability parameters of concrete [C]// RIZWAN S A, GHAFFAR A. Proceeding of International Conference on Advances in Cement Based Materials and Applications in Civil Infrastructure. Lahore: A-One Publishers, 2007: 289–299.Google Scholar
- MALHOTRA V M. Reducing CO2 emissions—The role of fly ash and other supplementary cementitious materials [J]. Concrete International, 2006, 28(9): 42–45.Google Scholar
- LIU Tian-cheng, YANG Hua-ming. Ultrafine steel slag and latest advance in blending materials of high performance concrete [J]. Metal Mine, 2006, 41(9): 8–13. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- SUN Jia-ying, HUANG Cheng-hua. Influence of slag and steel slag composite on properties of high content slag concrete [J]. New Building Materials, 2004, 20(7): 13–15. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- TANG Wei-jun, REN Zhong-xing, ZHU Jian-hui. Study on activation of micro-powder mixture of granulated blast-furnace slag and steel slag [J]. Concrete, 2007, 28(12): 65–68. (in Chinese)Google Scholar