Characteristics of activated carbon prepared from Chinese fir sawdust by zinc chloride activation under vacuum condition
- 231 Downloads
The preparation of activated carbon from Chinese fir sawdust by zinc chloride activation under both nitrogen atmosphere and vacuum conditions was carried out in a self-manufactured vacuum pyrolysis reactor. The effects of the system pressure and the activation condition (nitrogen or vacuum) on pore development were investigated. The results show that both high quality activated carbon and high added-value bio-oil can be obtained simultaneously via vacuum chemical activation. The characteristics of the activated carbons produced under vacuum conditions are better than those prepared under nitrogen atmosphere. The performance parameters of the activated carbon obtained under vacuum conditions are as follows: the pore size distribution is mainly microporous, the Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET) surface area is 1 070.59 m2/g, the microporous volume is 0.502 4 cm3/g, the average pore size is 2.085 nm, and the iodine adsorption value and the methylene blue adsorption value are 1 142.92 and 131.34 mg/g, respectively. The activated carbon from vacuum chemical activation has developed micropores, and the N2 adsorption equilibrium constant of the corresponding activated carbon gradually increases with the decrease of reaction system pressure.
Key wordsactivated carbon bio-oil Chinese fir sawdust system pressure vacuum chemical activation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- LI Dong-yan, ZHOU Hua-lei, TIAN Ya-jun, WEI Lian-qi, WU Xiao-feng, LI Wen-jun, CHEN Yun-fa. High-specific-surface-area activated carbon from anthracite [J]. Rare Metal Materials and Engineering, 2007, 36(Suppl.1): 583–586. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- MA Rong, ZHANG Li-fang, ZHANG Shuang-quan, WANG Xin-hong, TANG Zhi-hong, ZHU Wen-kui, YAN Hong. Experimental study on the manufacture of activated carbon in the presence of additives [J]. New Carbon Materials, 2004, 19(1): 57–60. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- CHEN Jian, LI Ting-chen, YAN Yong-jie, REN Zheng-wei, ZHANG Su-ping. Preparation of activated carbon from the residual carbon obtained by fast pyrolysis of biomass [J]. Journal of East China University of Science and Technology, 2005, 31(6): 821–824. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- State Forestry Administration. The National Forestry Statistics of the main indicators in 2002 [EB/OL].  https://doi.org/www.forestry.gov.cn/lytj. (in Chinese)
- FU Xian-cai, SHEN Wen-xia, YAO Tian-yang. Physical chemistry [M]. 4th ed. Beijing: Higher Education Press, 1990: 934–978. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- HASBON J W. Activated carbon purification [M]. LIN Qiu-hua, translates. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 1980. (in Chinese)Google Scholar