A sink moving scheme based on local residual energy of nodes in wireless sensor networks
- 96 Downloads
In the application of periodic data-gathering in sensor networks, sensor nodes located near the sink have to forward the data received from all other nodes to the sink, which depletes their energy very quickly. A moving scheme for the sink based on local residual energy was proposed. In the scheme, the sink periodically moves to a new location with the highest stay-value defined by the average residual energy and the number of neighbors. The scheme can balance energy consumption and prevent nodes around sink from draining their energy very quickly in the networks. The simulation results show that the scheme can prolong the network lifetime by 26%–65% compared with the earlier schemes where the sink is static or moves randomly.
Key wordswireless sensor network network lifetime moving scheme residual energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- WANG W, SRINIVASAN V, CHAING K C. Using mobile relays to prolong the lifetime of wireless sensor networks [C]// Proceedings of the 11th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking(MobiCom’05). New York, NY, USA: ACM Press, 2005: 270–283.Google Scholar
- WANG G L, CAO G H, PORTA T L. Sensor relocation in mobile sensor networks [C]// Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM’05). Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE Press, 2005: 2302–2312.Google Scholar
- LUO J, HUBAUX J P. Joint mobility and routing for lifetime elongation in wireless sensor networks [C]// Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM’05). Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE Press, 2005: 1735–1746.Google Scholar
- TONG L, ZHAO Q, ADIREDDY S. Sensor networks with mobile agents [C]// Proceedings of IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM’03). Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE Press, 2003: 688–693.Google Scholar
- GANDHAM S R, DAWANDE M, PRAKASH R. Energy efficient schemes for wireless sensor networks with multiple mobile base stations [C]// Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM’03). Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE Press, 2003: 377–381.Google Scholar
- BI Yan-zhong, SUN Li-min, MA Jian, LI Na, KHAN I A, CHEN Can-feng. HUMS: An autonomous moving strategy for mobile sinks in data-gathering sensor networks [J]. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2007, 2007: 64574.Google Scholar