Analysis of four tobacco-specific nitrosamines in mainstream cigarette smoke of Virginia cigarettes by LC-MS/MS
- 104 Downloads
An improved method was developed for the determination of the four major tobacco-specific nitrosamines(TSNAs) in mainstream cigarette smoke. The new method offers decreased sample preparation and analysis time as compared to traditional methods. This method uses isotope dilution liquid chromatography coupled with a tandem mass spectrometer with electrospray ionization and is significantly more sensitive than traditional methods. It also shows no evidence of artifactual formation of TSNAs. Sample concentrations were determined for four TSNAs in mainstream smoke using two isotopically labeled TSNAs analogues as internal standards. Mainstream smoke was collected on an industry standard 44-mm Cambridge filter pad, extracted with 0.1 mol/L ammonium acetate, purified by solid-phase extraction, and analyzed without further sample cleanup. The analytical column is a 3.9 mm × 150 mm Waters Symmertry Shield RP18 column and volume fraction of the mobile phase is 50% methanol, 50% water containing 0.1% acetic acid. The results show that the linear range is 0.5–100.0 mg/L except for N-nitrosoanabasine (NAB) from 0.25 to 50.0 mg/L. The limits of detection are 0.1 mg/L for N-nitrosonornicotine (NNN), 0.08 mg/L for 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-py-ridyl)-1-butanone (NNK), 0.05 mg/L for N-nitrosoanatabine (NAT) and 0.06 mg/L for NAB. The recoveries of the four TSNAs are from 90.2% to 105.7%.
Key wordstobacco-specific nitrosamines mainstream cigarette smoke Virginia cigarette LC-MS/MS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ZHAO Ming-yue, XIE Fu-wei, WANG sheng, LI Dong. Determination of N-nitrosamines in tobacco by capillary gas chromatography [J]. Acta Tabacaria Sinica, 2000, 69(3): 1–6.Google Scholar
- RHE M S. Simultaneous determination of VNA and TSNA by GC/TEAACTA [J]. Tabacaria Sinica, 1999, 5(1): 12–19.Google Scholar
- XIN Hui-jun, XIE Fu-wei, DENG Da-jun. Determination of N′-nitrosonornicotine in tobacco by high performance liquid chromatography-photohydrolysis-pyrolysis-thermal energy analysis [J]. Chinese Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2000, 28: 436–438.Google Scholar
- WAGNER K A, FINKEL N H, FOSSETT J E, GILLMAN I G. Development of a quantitative method for the analysis of tobacco-specific nitrosamines in mainstream cigarette smoke using isotope dilution liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry [J]. Anal Chem, 2005, 77(4): 1001–1006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- BRUNNEMANNL K D, HOFFMANN D. Analytical studies on N-nitrosamines in tobacco and tobacco smoke [J]. Rec Adv Tob Sci, 1991, 21(5): 235–240.Google Scholar
- CALDWELL W S, CORNER J W. Artifact formation during smoke trapping: An improved method for determination of N-nitrosamines in cigarette smoke [J]. J Assoc Anal Chem, 1990, 73(3): 783–789.Google Scholar
- FISHER S, SPIEGELHALDER B, BEITR F S, PREUSSMANN R. Tobacco specific nitrosamines in European and USA cigarettes [J]. Arch Geschwulstforsch, 1990, 60(3): 169–177.Google Scholar