Isolation and characterization of YNTC-1, a novel Alicyclobacillus sendaiensis strain
- 76 Downloads
A heterotrophic acidothermophilic bacterial strain, YNTC-1, was isolated from an acidic hot spring in Tengchong, Yunan, China. YNTC-1 grows at pH value of 1.5–8.0 and temperature of 40–70 °C, with optimal pH and temperature at 3.0 and 55 °C, respectively. The cells of the strain are in shape of short rod, with 1.0–1.2 μm in length and 0.7–0.8 μm in diameter, and with distinct spores at both poles of each cell. The predominant fatty acids in cellular membrane of the strain are C18:1 θ7c. 16s rRNA gene analysis reveals that this strain is closely related to Alicyclobacillus sendaiensis, with over 99% sequence similarity. Based on phenotypic and genotypic analyses, YNTC-1 is identified as a member of A. sendaiensis. Considering some important morphological and biochemical differences between strain YNTC-1 and A. sendaiensis ATCC 27009T, YNTC-1 may be proposed to be a novel subspecies of A. sendaiensis. However, this viewpoint has to be confirmed by further studies. Co-bioleaching of pyrite and chalcopyrite with strain YN22, Sulfobacillus thermosulfidooxidans, shows that strain YNTC-1 has no evident influence on bioleaching rates of these two sulphide minerals.
Key wordsbioleaching sulphide minerals isolation strain YNTC-1 Alicyclobacillus sendaiensis Sulfobacillus thermosulfidooxidans
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- GOTO K, MOCHIDA K, ASAHARA M, SUZUKI M, KASAI H, YOKOTA A. Alicyclobacillus pomorum sp. nov.: A novel thermoacidophilic, endospore-forming bacterium that does not possess ω-alicyclic fatty acids, and emended description of the genus Alicyclobacillus [J]. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 2003, 53(5): 1537–1544.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- WU YU-ping, XU Jian-ming, WANG Hai-zhen. Application of Sherlockmis in identification of soil bacteria [J]. Acta Pedologica Sinica, 2006, 43(4): 642–647. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- GOTO K, MATSUBARA H, MOCHIDA K, MATSUMURA T, HARA Y, NMA M, YAMASATO K. Alicyclobacillus herbarius sp. nov.: A novel bacterium containing ω-cycloheptane fatty acids, isolated from herbal tea [J]. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 2002, 52(1): 109–113.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- CHEN Shi-qiong, CHEN Wen-feng, HU Xiao-song, ZHAO Guang-hua. Rapid identification of Alicyclobacillus isolated from concentrated apple juice processing by 16S rDNA PCR-RFLP [J]. Journal of Chinese Institute of Food Science and Technology, 2006, 6(2): 99–102. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- CHEN Shi-qiong, TANG Qing-yan, ZHANG Xiao-dong, ZHAO Gung-hua, HU Xiao-song, LIAO Xiao-jun, CHEN Fang, WU Ji-hong, XIANG Hua. Isolation and characterization of hermoacidophilic endospore-forming bacteria from the concentrated apple juice-processing environment [J]. Food Microbiology, 2006, 23(5): 439–445.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- CHEN Zhi-wei, JIANG Cheng-ying, LIU Shuang-jiang. Survey on and phylogeny of Alicyclobacillus species in hot springs of southern China’s Guangdong and Yunnan Provinces [J]. Microbiology, 2004, 31(3): 50–54. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- SHU Rong-bo, RUAN Ren-man, WEN Jian-kan. Review on passivation of chalcopyrite during bioleaching process [J]. Chinese Journal of Rare Metal, 2006, 30(3): 395–400. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- YASUHIRO K, MASAHIKO T, SATORU A. Copper recovery from chalcopyrite concentrate by acidophilic thermophile Acidianus brierleyi in batch and continuous-flow stirred tank reactors [J]. Hydrometallurgy, 2001, 59(2/3): 271–282.Google Scholar
- FALCO L, POGLIANI C, CURUTCHET G. A comparison of bioleaching of covellite using pure cultures of Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans and acidithiobacillus thiooxidans or a mixed culture of Leptospirillum ferrooxidans and Acidithiobacillus thiooxidans [J]. Hydrometallurgy, 2003, 71(1/2): 31–36.CrossRefGoogle Scholar