Plastic deformation behavior of ZK60 magnesium alloy with addition of neodymium
- 87 Downloads
The hot deformation simulation of a ZK60 magnesium alloy at different temperatures from 373 to 673 K and different strain rates of 0.1, 0.01 and 0.002 s−1 was studied by using the Gleebe-1500 simulator. The plastic deformation behavior was measured and the deformation activation energy was calculated. The microstructures of ZK60 magnesium alloy with an addition of neodymium during the deformation process were observed by using Polyvar-MET optical microscope and Tecnai G2 20 TEM. The results show that the working hardening, the dynamic recovery and the dynamic recrystallization occur during the plastic deformation process at different temperatures and strain rates. The dynamic recrystallization starts when the temperature is over 473 K and the DRX grain size after hot deformation is only 5–10 μm. So the refined grains improve both the tensile strength and the elongation of alloys at room temperature. Neodymium is added into the alloy and a precipitate phase Mg12Nd that impedes the movement of dislocations is formed, which benefits to increasing mechanical properties of ZK60 magnesium alloy.
Key wordsZK60 magnesium alloy rare earth plastic deformation behavior dynamic recrystallization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ASM International. Magnesium and magnesium alloy [M]. Ohio: Metal Park, 1999: 1–130.Google Scholar
- LI Wen-xian. Magnesium and magnesium alloy [M]. Changsha: Central South University Press, 2005: 338–380. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- CAHN R W. Microstructures and properties of nonferrous alloys [M]. Beijing: Science Press, 1999: 460–485. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- YU Kun, LI Wen-xian, WANG Ri-chu. Research, development and application of wrought magnesium alloys [J]. The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2003, 13(2): 277–282. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- JI Ze-sheng. Research process and new technology of magnesium alloy in Japan [J]. The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2004, 14(12): 1977–1984. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- KHOSRHOSHAHI R A, PILKINGTON R, LORIMER G W. The microstructure and creep of as-cast and extruded WE54 alloy [C]// Proceeding of the Third International Magnesium Conference. Manchester, 1996: 261–256.Google Scholar