Effects of rheology of compound materials on passivation cracking of micro-structure of IC packages
- 39 Downloads
Thermo-mechanical failures are the root cause of failures in integrated circuits. A major cause for these failures is the different coefficients of thermal expansion (CTE) of package materials. Compound material is necessary when assembling, which has different elastic modulus, poisson ratios and coefficients of temperature expansion under different temperatures. Therefore, the rheology of compound material used here is expected to have a pronounced influence on the local stress distribution in the passivation layer. The finite element simulations and the maximum principal stress theory are applied to investigate this influence, which paves the way for compound materials selection in IC packages.
Key wordspackage integrated circuit passivation crack compound material principal stress rheology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BISSCHOP J. Failure mechanisms in plastic package IC’s[C]//ERNST L J, ZHANG G Q, DUDEK R, et al. Proceeding EuroSIME2002. Paris, 2002: 328–331.Google Scholar
- Dasgupta A. The physics-of-failure approach at the University of Maryland for the development of reliable electronics[C]//ERNST L J, ZHANG G Q, DUDEK R, et al. Proceeding EuroSIME2002. Paris, 2002: 10–17.Google Scholar
- TAY A A O. Modelling of interfacial delamination in plastic IC packages under hygrothermal loading[C]//ERNST L J, ZHANG G Q, DUDEK R, et al. Proceeding EuroSIME2002. Paris, 2002: 195–206.Google Scholar
- van SILFHOUT R B R, ZHANG G Q. State-of-the-art on thermo-mechanical modelling of IC back-end processes[C]//EMST L J, ZHANG G Q, de SAINT LEGER O, et al. Proceeding EuroSIME2001. Paris, 2001: 277–289.Google Scholar
- MERCADO L L, GOLDBEG C. Impact of flip-chip packaging on copper/low-k structures for 0.13 μm technology[C]//ERNST L J, ZHANG G Q, DUDEK R. Proceeding EuroSIME2002. Paris, 2002: 302–309.Google Scholar
- HE Yu-ting, ZHANG G Q, van DRIEL W D, et al. Cracking prediction of IC’s passivation layer using J-integral[C]//BI Ke-yun, BARNWELL G P, WANG Jia-ji. Proceeding 5th ICEPT. Shanghai, 2003: 362–367.Google Scholar
- HE Yu-ting, ZHANG G Q, van DRIEL W D, et al. The influence of leadframe on passivation cracks growth[C]//BI Ke-yun, BARNWELL G P, WANG Jia-ji. Proceeding 5th ICEPT. Shanghai, 2003: 430–437.Google Scholar
- MA Ai-jun, ZHOU Chuan-yue, WANG XU. Patran and Nastran: Finite Element Analysis[M]. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2005. (in Chinese)Google Scholar