Improved sample filtering method for measuring end-to-end path capacity
- 20 Downloads
By analyzing the effect of cross traffic (CT) enforced on packet delay, an improved path capacity measurement method, pcapminp algorithm, was proposed. With this method, path capacity was measured by filtering probe samples based on measured minimum packet-pair delay. The measurability of minimum packet-pair delay was also analyzed by simulation. The results show that, when comparing with pathrate, if the CT load is light, both pcapminp and pathrate have similar accuracy; but in the case of heavy CT load, pcapminp is more accurate than Pathrate. When CT load reaches 90%, pcapminp algorithm has only 5% measurement error, which is 10% lower than that of pathrate algorithm. At any CT load levels, the probe cost of pcapminp algorithm is two magnitudes smaller than that of pathrate, and the measurement duration is one magnitude shorter than that of pathrate algorithm.
Key wordsnetwork measurement path capacity capacity measurement path delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DOWNEY A. Using pathchar to estimate Internet link characteristics[C]// Proceeding of the 1999 ACM SIGCOMM Conference. Cambridge: ACM Press, 1999: 241–250.Google Scholar
- LAI K, BAKER M. Measuring link bandwidths using a deterministic model of packet delay[C]// Proceeding of the 2000 ACM SIGCOMM Conference. Stockholm: ACM Press, 2000: 283–294.Google Scholar
- LAI K, BAKER M. Measuring bandwidth[C]// Proceeding of the 18th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM). New York: IEEE Press, 1999: 235–245.Google Scholar
- COSTANTINOS D, PARAMESWARAN R, DAVID M. What do packet dispersion techniques measure[C]// Proceeding of the 20th IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM). Anchorage: IEEE Press, 2001: 905–914.Google Scholar
- LEE S, SHARMA P, BANERJEE S, et al. Measuring bandwidth between PlanetLab nodes[C]// Proceeding of the 2005 Passive and Active Measurement Workshop. Boston: Springer Press, 2005: 292–305.Google Scholar
- RAVI P, COSTANTINOS D, BRUCE A. The effect of layer-2 store-and-forward devices on per-hop capacity estimation[C]// Proceeding of the 22nd IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM). San Francisco: IEEE Press, 2003: 2090–2100.Google Scholar