New anodizing process for magnesium alloys
- 261 Downloads
Compact anodic films with high hardness and good corrosion resistance on magnesium alloys were prepared by a new constant voltage and arc-free anodizing process. The effects of anodizing parameters such as applied voltage and electrolyte temperature on the peak current density and the thickness of films were investigated. In addition, the morphologies and corrosion resistance of films were investigated by scanning electron microscopy and potentiodynamic polarization, respectively. The results show that the higher the applied voltage, the higher the peak intense sparking which may deteriorate the properties of the anodic films and bring about unsafety. The new anodizing process can be applied in a wide range of temperature. The new anodic films have numbers of pores with the diameter of 0.5–5.0 µm which do not transverse the entire film.
Key wordsmagnesium alloys anodizing film arc-free corrosion resistance
CLC numberTG174. 451
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Nishikawa Y. Development of electric products using magnesium alloys[J]. Function and Materials, 1999, 19(6): 21–27. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Bartak D E, Lemieux B E, Woolsey E R. Two-step electrochemical process for coating magnesium alloys. US, 5264113[P]. 1993 - 11 - 23.Google Scholar
- Barton T F. Anodization of magnesium and magnesium based alloys. US, 5792335[P]. 1998 - 08 - 11.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi W, Uehori K, Furuta M. Anodizing solution for anodic oxidation of magnesium or its alloys. US, 4744872[P]. 1988 - 03 - 17.Google Scholar
- Zozulin A J, Bartak D E. Anodized coatings for magnesium alloys[J]. Metal Finishing, 1994, 92(3): 39–44.Google Scholar
- Bartak D E, Lemieux B E, Woolsey E R. Hard anodic coating for magnesium alloys. US, 5470664[P]. 1995 - 11 - 28.Google Scholar
- Schmeling E L, Roschenbleck B, Weidemann M H. Method of producing protective coatings that are resistant to corrosion and wear on magnesium and magnesium alloys. US, 4978432[P]. 1990 - 12 - 18.Google Scholar
- Kurze P, Banerjee D, Kletke H J. Method of producing oxide ceramic layers on barrier layer-forming metals and articles produced by the method. US, 5385662[P]. 1995 - 01 - 31.Google Scholar