Influence of potential on structure and properties of microarc oxidation coating on Mg alloy
- 66 Downloads
In order to obtain optimizing microarc oxidation coating on Mg alloy from a friendly-enviormental electrolyte free of Cr6+ and PO43−, constant potential regime was applied to produce it. The influence of potential on the morphology, composition, structure and other properties, such as microhardness and corrosion resistance were investigated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy dispersive spectroscope (EDS), X-ray diffraction (XRD), hardness tester and electrochemical method. The results clearly show that oxidation potential plays an important role in the formation of coating’s structure and properties. The microarc oxidation coating is smooth and white, which consists of two layers. The external layer is loose and porous and enriched in Al and Si. Moreover, its content of Al and Si increases with the increasing operated potential. While the inner layer is compact and the content of Al and Si are lower than that of the external layer. The coating is composed of several phases and the major phases are MgAl2O4 and MgO, and the minor phases are Al2O3 and SiO2 when the potential is higher. The microhardness of coating is obtained the maximum at the potential of 45 V, so does the corrosion resistance.
Key wordsmicroarc oxidation magnesium alloy structure property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zozulin J A, Barcak E. Anodic oxidation for Mg alloy[J]. Metal Finishing, 1994, 92(3): 39–44.Google Scholar
- HAO Jian-min, CHEN Hong, ZHANG Rong-jun, et al. Corrosion resistance of Mg alloy microarcoxidization ceramic coating[J]. The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2003, 13(4): 988–991. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Rajan A, Zhou W. Electroless nickel-plating on AZ91D magnesium alloy: effect of substrate microstructure and plating parameters[J]. Surface and Coatings Technology, 2004, 179(2–3): 124–134.Google Scholar
- YIN Jian-jun, LI Yuan-dong, LIANG Wei-dong, et al. Investigation of pretreatment process with zinc plating for Mg alloy electroplating[J]. Journal of Gansu University of Technology, 2003, 29(1): 36–38. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- WEI Zhong-ling, CHEN Qin-rong, GUO Xin-cong, et al. Microstructure and corrosion resistance of ceramic coating on magnesium alloys [J]. Materials Protection, 2003, 36(10): 21–23.Google Scholar