Mechanical properties and microstructure of as-cast and extruded Mg-(Ce, Nd)-Zn-Zr alloys
- 180 Downloads
Studies on the mechanical properties and microstructures of as-cast and extruded Mg-Ce-Zn-Zr and Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloys have been made before and after heat treatment. The results show that the mechanical properties of as-cast Mg-Ce and Mg-Nd alloys are as good as those of typical die cast AZ91 alloy and the heat resistant WE43 alloy. In Nd-containing alloys, the precipitated phase Mg12 Nd contributes significantly to age hardening. The mechanical properties of extruded alloys are improved obviously compared with those of as-cast alloys. The ultimate strength is 257.8 MPa for extruded Mg-Ce alloy and 265.6 MPa for extruded Mg-Nd alloy. Extrusion is a useful method to improve both the strengths and elongations of the two experimental alloys at both ambient and elevated temperatures. The grain refinement and precipitation strengthening are the main strengthening mechanisms in the alloys. Tensile fracture surfaces show a dimple pattern after extruding and therefore reflect an improved elongation.
Key wordsMg-(Ce, Nd)-Zn-Zr alloy rare earth extrusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cahn R W. Microstructures and Properties of Nonferrous Alloys[M]. Beijing: Science Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Luo A, Pekguleryuz M O. Cast magnesium alloys for elevated temperature applications [J]. J Mater Sci, 1994, 29: 5295–5271.Google Scholar
- JI Ze-sheng. Research process and new technology of magnesium alloy in Japan [J]. The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2004, 14(12): 1977–1984.Google Scholar
- Khosrhoshahi R A, Pilkington R, Lorimer G W. The microstructure and creep of as-cast and extruded WE54 alloy [A]. Proceeding of the Third International Magnesium Conference[C]. Manchester, 1996. 261–256.Google Scholar
- YU Kun, LI Wen-xian. Production, properties and microstructure of Mg-RE-Zn-Zr alloy [J]. J Mater Sci & Technol, 2002, 18: 378–380.Google Scholar
- Brooks C R. Heat Treatment Structure and Properties of Nonferrous Alloys[M]. OH: Metals Park, 1982.Google Scholar
- Polmear I J. Light Alloys: Metallurgy of Light Metals (2nd)[M]. London: Edward Arnold, 1989.Google Scholar
- ASM. Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys[M]. OH: Metals Park, 1999.Google Scholar
- YU Kun, LI Wen-xian, WANG Ri-chu, et al. Research, development and application of wrought magnesium alloy [J]. The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2003, 13(2): 277–287.Google Scholar
- Secker R. The renaissance in magnesium [J]. Advanced Mater & Proc, 1998(9): 31–35.Google Scholar