Synthesis and thermal stability of antimony tris (thioethyl stearate) for PVC
- 63 Downloads
A novel type of thermal stabilizer-antimony tris (thioethyl stearate) (ATS) was synthsized. Its thermal stability was measured by heat-aging oven test when incorporated into PVC. ATS was synthesized from stearic acid, antimony trioxide and 2-mercaptoethanol in two steps. The reaction conditions of synthesis were optimized through orthogonal test. Experimental results show that the molar ratio of stearic acid and antimony tris (2-hydroxyethylthiolate) was 1.2, adding 0.6% tetra-n-butyl titanate as catalyst and xylene as azeotropic solvent, heating and refluxing for about 4 h, and the yield of ATS is 83.9%. The thermal stability time is about 40 min(at 200 °C) when added 2phr(per hundred resin) in PVC. The thermal stability of ATS is better than that of Ca-Zn complex and basic lead stabilizers, and equal to that of dibutyltin dilaurate.
Key wordsthermal stabilizer antimony thiolate synthesis thermal stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dwinkin R D. PVC stabilizers of the past, present and future[J]. Journal of Vinyl Technology, 1989, 11(3): 15–21.Google Scholar
- Diekmann D, Wegelin C. Antimony stabilizers: the current status[J]. Plastic Compounds, 1983, 6(5): 77–78.Google Scholar
- GONG Liu-chen. The organic antimony heat stabilizers[J]. Plastics Additives (in Chinese), 1999, (4): 11–16.Google Scholar
- WANG Yu-feng. Domestic and intemational applications and prospects for antimony heat stabilizers[J]. Plastics (in Chinese), 1990, 19(4): 41–45.Google Scholar
- SHU Wan-gen, QU Long, HUANG Ke-long, LIU You-nian, et al. The antimony mercaptides and its synthetic process[P]. China Patent, ZL 93 1 11680.5, 1997-11-29.Google Scholar
- HUANG Ke-long, LIU You-nian, SHU Wan-gen, et al. Synthesis, property and heat stabilizer for polyvinyl chlorides of antimony tris (mercptoacid ester)[J]. Journal of Central South University of Technology, 1994, 1(1): 45–50.Google Scholar
- SHU Wan-gen, LIU You-nian, QU Long. Heat stability and application of antimony mercaptide AST-201[J]. Plastics Additives (in Chinese), 1999, (4): 17–19.Google Scholar
- QU Long, SHU Wan-gen, HUANG Ke-long. The synthesis and properties of antimony tris (thiobutyl glycollate)[J]. The Chinese Journal of Nonferrous Metals (in Chinese), 1994, 4(4): 50–53.Google Scholar
- QU Long, SHU Wan-gen, HUANG Ke-long. The synthesis methods of antimony tris (n-dodecanethiol) and property research [J]. Fine Chemicals (in Chinese), 1993, 10(4): 42–44.Google Scholar
- Kolthoff I M, Belcher R. Volumetric Analysis (Vol III) [M]. New York: Interscience Publishers Inc, 1957.Google Scholar