Impact of Industrial Agglomeration on Productivity: Evidence from Iran’s Food Industry
- 7 Downloads
This paper aims to examine the effect of agglomeration on firm level productivity in Iran’s food manufacturing by employing a firm level dataset during 1986–2015 among firms for four districts. The empirical results show that agglomeration in north districts are key factors in productivity growth. In this work, we apply a spatial Bayes model that uses hierarchical techniques during the three terms. The productivity clustering map is able to capture such patterns as the high productivity area that appears in the south, north districts of Iran. This paper evaluates the effect of agglomeration on firm productivity in Iran’s food industries at district level. We find that regional market potential is the strong predictor of productivity; moreover, industrial agglomeration has a productivity-augmenting impact.
KeywordsAgglomeration productivity spatial Bayes hierarchical Iran
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Braunerhjelm P, Borgman B, 2006. Agglomeration, Diversity and Regional Growth. Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- Combes P P, Duranton G, Gobillon L et al., 2010. Estimating agglomeration economies with history, geology, and worker effects. In: Glaeser E L (ed). Agglomeration Economics. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Doms M E, 1992. Estimating Capital Efficiency Schedules Within Production Functions. WORKING papers, 92–4, U.S. Census Bureau, Center for Economic Studies, Washington.Google Scholar
- Ellison G, Gleaser E, Kerr w, 2010. What causes industry agglomeration? Evidence from coagglomeration patterns. American Economiv Review, 105: 889–927. doi: 10.1257/aer.100.3.1195Google Scholar
- Gelman A, Carlin J B, Stern H S et al., 2004. Bayesian Data Analysis. New York, NY: Chapman & Hall/CRC, 293–305.Google Scholar
- Graham D J, 2007. Agglomeration, productivity and transport investment. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 41(3): 317–343.Google Scholar
- Hashiguchi Y, Chen K H, 2012. Assessing Agglomeration Economies in the Yangzi River Delta, China: A Bayesian Spatial Econometric Approach. IDE Discussion Papers 339, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization, Chiba.Google Scholar
- Krugman P, 1991. Geography and Trade. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Marshall A, 1890. Principles of Economics. London: Macmillan, 208–222.Google Scholar
- Selting A C, Allanach C, Loveridge S, 1994. The Role of Agglomeration Economies in Firm Location: A Review of the Literature. University of Minnesota, Minnesota.Google Scholar