Energy-constraint rate distortion optimization for compressive sensing-based image coding
- 93 Downloads
Compressive sensing (CS) is an emerging technology which samples a sparse signal at a rate corresponding to its actual information content rather than to its bandwidth. The encoding scheme based on CS features low hardware complexity and power consumption. It is widely used in resource-limited application where the energy consumption determines the lifetime of the system. In this paper, the primary concern is how to configure the encoder to achieve the target energy consumption and target bit rate as well as the optimal picture quality. Firstly, the rate–distortion (R–D) behavior is investigated under the energy constraint. Then a source rate–distortion model and energy consuming model are proposed to quantify the relationship among coding parameters, source encoding rate, distortion, and energy consumption. The accuracy is verified through the experiments. Since the proposed models provide a theoretical basis and a practical guideline for performance optimization, the optimal configuration of coding parameters can be determined. The coding system adjusts its parameter configuration to match the available energy supply of the system while maximizing the picture quality. Simulation results have demonstrated the effectiveness of the proposed approach in achieving the optimal image quality and energy efficiency.
KeywordsCompressive sensing Rate distortion Optimization Energy constrained Model
This paper was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (61401269,61572311), Shanghai Technology Innovation Shanghai Technology Innovation Project (17020500900), Foundation of Shanghai Talent Development (201501), and “Shuguang Program” sponsored by Shanghai Education Development Foundation and Shanghai Municipal Education Commission (17SG51), Local colleges and universities capacity building Program (14110500900, 15110500900).
- 3.Wu, X.L., Zhang, X.J.: Model-guided adaptive recovery of compressive sensing. In: Proceedings on Data Compression Conference, pp. 123–132 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Schulz, A., Velho, L., Silva, E.D.: On the empirical rate–distortion performance of compressive sensing. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 3049–3052 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Pudlewski, S., Melodia, T.: A rate–energy–distortion analysis for compressed-sensing-enabled wireless video streaming on multimedia sensors. In: IEEE Globecom, pp. 1–6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Jiang, W.: A novel algorithm of solving the optimal slope on rate–distortion curve for the given rate budget. J. Donghua Univ. 26, 259–263 (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Liu, H.X., Song, B., Tian, F., Qin, H.: Joint sampling rate and bit-depth optimization in compressive video sampling. IEEE Trans. Multimed. 16, 1549–1562 (2014)Google Scholar
- 22.Do, T.T., Gan, L., Nguyen, N., Tran, T.D.: Sparsity adaptive matching pursuit algorithm for practical compressed sensing. In: Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, pp. 581–587 (2008)Google Scholar
- 25.Gunturk, C.S., Lammers, M., Powell, A., Saab, R., Yilmaz, O.: Sigma delta quantization for compressed sensing. In: Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, pp. 1–6 (2010)Google Scholar
- 26.Candes, E., Romberg, J.: Encoding the lp Ball from limited measurements. In: Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference (DCC), pp. 1–10 (2006)Google Scholar
- 27.Dunkels, A., Eriksson, J., Finne, N., Tsiftes, N.: Powertrace: network-level power profiling for low-power wireless networks. Swed. Inst. Comput. Sci. 5, 1–14 (2011)Google Scholar
- 28.Lee, D.U., Kim, H., Tu, S., Rahimi, M., Estrin, D., Villasenor, J.: Energy-optimized image communication on resource constrained sensor platforms. http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5vg6h5n0#page-3. Accessed 11 Sept 2017