Time delays and angles of arrival estimation using known signals
- 258 Downloads
Channel estimation in a multipath mobile communication system is addressed in this paper, and a novel approach based on the linear prediction in frequency domain and the singular value decomposition technique is presented for joint estimation of the angles of arrival and the time delays of multiple reflections of a known signal. Simulation results illustrating the performance of the proposed algorithm are included, and the results show that the proposed method is close in accuracy when compared to the iterative maximum-likelihood method. However, when the two methods are compared in computational complexity, it is demonstrated that the proposed method reduces the complexity to nearly half of that of the maximum-likelihood method. The Cramer–Rao bounds are computed for comparison.
KeywordsWireless communication Channel estimation Array processing Source localization Joint angle and delay estimation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Tsoulos, G.V. (eds): Adaptive Antennas for Wireless Communications. IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Haykin S.: Communication Systems. Wiley, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Hew, N., Zein, N.: Space-time estimation techniques for UTRA systems. In: Proceedings of the IEE First International Conference on 3G Mobile Communication Technologies (Conference Publication No. 471), London, pp. 281–287, 27–29 March 2000Google Scholar
- 7.Gu, Z., Gunawan, E., Yu, Z.: Joint spatiotemporal parameter estimation for DS-CDMA system in fast fading multipath channel. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Rhodes, Greece, vol. 1, pp. 28–32, 6–9 May 2001Google Scholar
- 8.Al-Jazzar, S., Caffery, J., Jr.: ESPRIT-based joint AOA/delay estimation for CDMA systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference—WCNC 2004, Atlanta, GA, pp. 2244–2249, 21–25 March 2004Google Scholar
- 12.Riley K.F., Hobson M.P., Bence S.J.: Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Deprettere, E.F. (eds): SVD and Signal Processing: Algorithms, Applications and Architectures. Elsevier Science, North-Holland (1988)Google Scholar
- 15.Rappaport, T.S. (eds): Smart Antennas: Adaptive Arrays, Algorithms, & Wireless Position Location. IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ (1998)Google Scholar