Image quality assessment based on S-CIELAB model
- 417 Downloads
This paper proposes a new image quality assessment framework which is based on color perceptual model. By analyzing the shortages of the existing image quality assessment methods and combining the color perceptual model, the general framework of color image quality assessment based on the S-CIELAB color space is presented. The S-CIELAB color model, a spatial extension of CIELAB, has an excellent performance for mimicking the perceptual processing of human color vision. This paper incorporates excellent color perceptual characteristics model with the geometrical distortion measurement to assess the image quality. First, the reference and distorted images are transformed into S-CIELAB color perceptual space, and the transformed images are evaluated by existing metric in three color perceptual channels. The fidelity factors of three channels are weighted to obtain the image quality. Experimental results achieved on LIVE database II shows that the proposed methods are in good consistency with human subjective assessment results.
KeywordsImage quality assessment Color vision S-CIELAB Perceptual characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Final report from the Video Quality Experts Group (VQEG) on the Validation of Objective Models of Video Quality Assessment, Phase II VQEG, [Online] Available: http://www.vqeg.org/ (2003)
- 8.Poirson A.B., Wandell B.A.: Pattern-color separable pathways predict sensitivity to simple colored patterns. Vis. Res. 35(2), 239–254 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Rajashekar, U., Wang, Z., Simoncelli, E.P.: Quantifying color image distortions based on adaptive spatio-chromatic signal decompositions. In: Proc. IEEE Int’l Conf on Image Processing, pp. 2213–2216. Cairo, Egypt (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Sheikh, H.R., Wang, Z., Cormack, L., Bovik, A.C.: LIVE Image Quality Assessment Database, [Online] Available: http://www.live.ece.utexas.edu/research/quality (2003)
- 14.Wang Z., Bovik A.C.: Modern Image Quality Assessment. Morgan and Claypool Publishing Company, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.Zhang, X., Silverstein, D.A, Farrell, J.E., Wandell, B.A.: Color image quality metric S-CIELAB and its application on halftone texture visibility. In: Compcon’97 Proceedings. IEEE pp. 44–48 (1997)Google Scholar