A closed form design method for the two-channel quadrature mirror filter banks
- 237 Downloads
This paper presents a simple and efficient closed form method for designing two-channel linear phase quadrature mirror filter (QMF) banks with prescribed stopband attenuation and channel overlap. The proposed method is based on optimum passband edge frequency, which is calculated using empirical formulas instead of using optimization algorithm. Different window functions are used to design the prototype filter for QMF banks. When compared to other existing methods, the proposed method reduces computation time (CPU time) and amplitude distortion (e am ), which results in a simpler and efficient design procedure for the applications where the design must be carried out in real or quasi-real-time. Several design examples are included to illustrate the proposed method and its improved performances over other exiting methods. An application of the proposed method is considered in the area of subband coding of ultrasound image.
KeywordsClosed form Filter banks Multirate filter banks QMF bank
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Johnston, J.D.: A filter family designed for use in quadrature mirror filter banks. In: Proceedings IEEE international conference on acoustics, speech, and signal processing, April 1980, pp. 291–294 (1980)Google Scholar
- 17.Kumar A., Singh G.K., Anand R.S.: Near perfect reconstruction quadrature mirror filter. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Eng. 2(3), 121–123 (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Bregovic, R., Saramaki, T.: Two-channel FIR filter banks—a tutorial review and new results. In: Proceedings of second international workshop transforms filter banks, vol. TICSP 4, pp. 507–558, May 1999, Brandenburg, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 23.Mitra S.K.: Digital Signal Processing: A Computer Based Approach. McGraw-Hill, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.Viholainen, A., Saramaki, T., Renfors, M.: Nearly perfect-reconstruction cosine-modulated filter bank design for VDSL modems. In: Proceeding of international conference on electronics, circuits and systems, pp. 373–376 (1999)Google Scholar
- 25.Chang, D.C., Lee, D.L.: Prototype filter design for a cosine-modulated filter bank transmultiplexers. In: Proceeding of IEEE international conference, APCCAS 2006, pp. 454–457 (2006)Google Scholar
- 26.Dolecek G.J.: Multirate Systems: Design and Applications. Idea group of publishing, Hershey (2002)Google Scholar