Emerging technologies and analytics for a new era of value-centered marketing in healthcare
- 44 Downloads
The healthcare system is undergoing a fundamental transformation fueled by regulatory shifts that reward value over volume, coupled with unprecedented advances in technological capabilities. To address the processes involved in defining, measuring, and delivering value in this shifting landscape, we develop the framework of value-centered marketing (VCM). Building on existing approaches in both healthcare and marketing, we propose three core dimensions of value in VCM: preferences, precision, and process. We also provide an overview of a trifecta of technological advances including the digital capture of health data, improvements in methodologies for data analysis, and exponential increases in processing power and storage capacity, which have created a perfect storm of opportunity for VCM. We describe how these emerging technologies can be combined with insights from marketing science to develop successful VCM strategy and highlight critical research questions. Finally, we discuss potential unintended consequences in the use of tech- and analytics-enabled healthcare.
KeywordsHealth analytics Health technologies Healthcare marketing Value-centered marketing
- Allen, M. (2018a). Health insurers are vacuuming up details about you — And it could raise your rates. Retrieved from ProPublica website: https://www.propublica.org/article/health-insurers-are-vacuuming-up-details-about-you-and-it-could-raise-your-rates. Accessed 13 June 2019.
- Allen, M. (2018b). You snooze, you lose: Insurers make the old adage literally true. Retrieved from ProPublica website: https://www.propublica.org/article/you-snooze-you-lose-insurers-make-the-old-adage-literally-true. Accessed 13 June 2019.
- American Medical Association. (2016). Digital health study: Physicians’ motivations and requirements for adopting digital clinical tools. Retrieved from https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/digital. Accessed 13 June 2019.
- Anderson-Lewis, C., Darville, G., Mercado, R. E., Howell, S., & Di Maggio, S. (2018). mHealth technology use and implications in historically underserved and minority populations in the United States: Systematic literature review. JMIR MHealth and UHealth, 6(6), e128. https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.8383.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bosworth, B. (2018). Increasing disparities in mortality by socioeconomic status. Annual Review of Public Health, 39(1), 237–251. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040617-014615.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Broderick, A. B., & Haque, F. H. (2015). Mobile health and patient engagement in the safety net: A survey of community health centers and clinics. The Commonwealth Foundation.Google Scholar
- Carey, D. J., Fetterolf, S. N., Davis, F. D., Faucett, W. A., Kirchner, H. L., Mirshahi, U., … Ledbetter, D. H. (2016). The Geisinger MyCode community health initiative: An electronic health record–linked biobank for precision medicine research. Genetics in Medicine, 18(9), 906–913. https://doi.org/10.1038/gim.2015.187.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2017a). NHE Fact Sheet - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/research-statistics-data-and-systems/statistics-trends-and-reports/nationalhealthexpenddata/nhe-fact-sheet.html. Accessed 19 June 2019.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (2017b). Hospital HCAHPS. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-instruments/hospitalqualityinits/hospitalHCAHPS.html. 26 Jan 2019.
- Chiu, C.-C., Tripathi, A., Chou, K., Co, C., Jaitly, N., Jaunzeikare, D., … Zhang, X. (2017). Speech recognition for medical conversations. ArXiv:1711.07274 [Cs, Eess, Stat]. Retrieved from http://arxiv.org/abs/1711.07274. Accessed 10 Sept 2019.
- Choi, E., Bahadori, M. T., Searles, E., Coffey, C., Thompson, M., Bost, J., … Sun, J. (2016). Multi-layer representation learning for medical concepts. Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining - KDD ‘16, 1495–1504. https://doi.org/10.1145/2939672.2939823.
- Chow, P. I., Fua, K., Huang, Y., Bonelli, W., Xiong, H., Barnes, L. E., & Teachman, B. A. (2017). Using mobile sensing to test clinical models of depression, social anxiety, state affect, and social isolation among college students. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 19(3). https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.6820.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cohen, R. A., Zammitti, E. P., & Martinez, M. E. (2018). Health insurance coverage: Early release of estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2017. Rockville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.Google Scholar
- Crowley, K., Piper, J., Cummins, J., Gao, G., Burn, L., Igumbor, K., … Veronese, F. (2018). Ethnographic study for HIV prevention reveals a typology consisting of five distinct types among South African adolescents and young women. Presented at AIDS 2018, Amsterdam, July 23–27, 2018.Google Scholar
- Cuckler, G. A., Sisko, A. M., Poisal, J. A., Keehan, S. P., Smith, S. D., Madison, A. J., … Hardesty, J. C. (2018). National health expenditure projections, 2017–26: despite uncertainty, fundamentals primarily drive spending growth. Health Affairs, 37(3), 482–492. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1655.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Lew, N., & Greenberg, G. (1992). A layman’s guide to the U.S. health care system. Health Care Financing Review, 14(1), 151–169.Google Scholar
- Donevant, S. B., Estrada, R. D., Culley, J. M., Habing, B., & Adams, S. A. (2018). Exploring app features with outcomes in mHealth studies involving chronic respiratory diseases, diabetes, and hypertension: a targeted exploration of the literature. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 25(10), 1407–1418. https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocy104.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Downing, N. S., Shah, N. D., Neiman, J. H., Aminawung, J. A., Krumholz, H. M., & Ross, J. S. (2016). Participation of the elderly, women, and minorities in pivotal trials supporting 2011–2013 U.S. Food and Drug Administration approvals. Trials, 17(1), 199. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-016-1322-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dugas, M., Crowley, K., Gao, G. G., Xu, T., Agarwal, R., Kruglanski, A. W., & Steinle, N. (2018). Individual differences in regulatory mode moderate the effectiveness of a pilot mHealth trial for diabetes management among older veterans. PLOS ONE, 13(3), e0192807. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0192807.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Elliott, M. N., Cohea, C. W., Lehrman, W. G., Goldstein, E. H., Cleary, P. D., Giordano, L. A., … Zaslavsky, A. M. (2015). Accelerating improvement and narrowing gaps: Trends in patients’ experiences with hospital care reflected in HCAHPS public reporting. Health Services Research, 50(6), 1850–1867. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12305.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gao, G., McCullough, J. S., Agarwal, R., & Jha, A. K. (2012). A changing landscape of physician quality reporting: analysis of patients’ online ratings of their physicians over a 5-year period. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 14(1), e38. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gaziano, J. M., Concato, J., Brophy, M., Fiore, L., Pyarajan, S., Breeling, J., … O’Leary, T. J. (2016). Million Veteran Program: A mega-biobank to study genetic influences on health and disease. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 70, 214–223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2015.09.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goldzweig, C. L., Orshansky, G., Paige, N. M., Towfigh, A. A., Haggstrom, D. A., Miake-Lye, I., … Shekelle, P. G. (2013). Electronic patient portals: Evidence on health outcomes, satisfaction, efficiency, and attitudes: A systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine, 159(10), 677. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-159-10-201311190-00006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grier, S., & Bryant, C. A. (2005). Social marketing in public health. Annual Review of Public Health, 26(1), 319–339. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.26.021304.144610.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gustafson, D. H., McTavish, F. M., Chih, M.-Y., Atwood, A. K., Johnson, R. A., Boyle, M. G., … Shah, D. (2014). A smartphone application to support recovery from alcoholism: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(5), 566–572. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.4642.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hadland, S. E., Cerdá, M., Li, Y., Krieger, M. S., & Marshall, B. D. L. (2018). Association of pharmaceutical industry marketing of opioid products to physicians with subsequent opioid prescribing. JAMA Internal Medicine, 178(6), 861–863. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.1999.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hadland, S. E., Rivera-Aguirre, A., Marshall, B. D. L., & Cerdá, M. (2019). Association of pharmaceutical industry marketing of opioid products with mortality from opioid-related overdoses. JAMA Network Open, 2(1), e186007–e186007. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.6007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Halldorsdottir, T., & Binder, E. B. (2017). Gene × environment interactions: From molecular mechanisms to behavior. Annual Review of Psychology, 68(1), 215–241. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-psych-010416-044053.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- HealthIT.gov (2018). Hospitals participating in the CMS EHR incentive programs. Retrieved from https://dashboard.healthit.gov/quickstats/pages/FIG-Hospitals-EHR-Incentive-Programs.php. Accessed 18 Sept 2018.
- Intel Security-McAfee. (2014). Net losses: Estimating the global cost of cybercrime. Center for Strategic and International Studies. Retrieved from https://www.csis.org/analysis/net-losses-estimating-global-cost-cybercrime. Accessed 20 June 2019.
- IQVIA Institute for Human Data Science. (2017). The growing value of digital health: Evidence and impact on human health and the healthcare system. Retrieved from https://www.iqvia.com/institute/reports/the-growing-value-of-digital-health. Accessed 18 Sept 2018.
- Jiang, P., Sellers, W. R., & Liu, X. S. (2018). Big data approaches for modeling response and resistance to cancer drugs. Annual Review of Biomedical Data Science, 1(1), 1–27. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-biodatasci-080917-013350.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mikolov, T., Chen, K., Corrado, G., & Dean, J. (2013). Efficient estimation of word representations in vector space. ArXiv:1301.3781 [Cs]. Retrieved from http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.3781. Accessed 10 Sept 2019.
- Morgan, B. (2015). NOwnership, no problem: Why millennials value experiences over owning things. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemorgan/2015/06/01/nownershipnoproblem-nowners-millennials-value-experiences-over-ownership/. Accessed 30 Jan 2019.
- Nakata, C., Izberk-Bilgin, E., Sharp, L., Spanjol, J., Cui, A. S., Crawford, S. Y., & Xiao, Y. (2019). Chronic illness medication compliance: A liminal and contextual consumer journey. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47(2), 192–215. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-018-0618-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- National Cancer Institute. (2018). BRCA mutations: Cancer risk & genetic testing. Retrieved from https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/genetics/brca-fact-sheet. Accessed 13 Jan 2019.
- National Human Genome Research Institute. (2016). The cost of sequencing a human genome. Retrieved fromhttps://www.genome.gov/27565109/the-cost-of-sequencing-a-human-genome/. Accessed 30 Jan 2019.
- O’Neil, C. (2016). Weapons of math destruction: How big data increases inequality and threatens democracy. New York: Crown.Google Scholar
- Oldenburg, B., Taylor, C. B., O’Neil, A., Cocker, F., & Cameron, L. D. (2015). Using new technologies to improve the prevention and management of chronic conditions in populations. Annual Review of Public Health, 36(1), 483–505. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031914-122848.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Olenski, S. (2018). 3 Reasons why CMOs should embrace experiential marketing. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveolenski/2018/08/15/3-reasons-why-cmos-should-embrace-experiential-marketing/. Accessed 30 Jan 2019.
- Pew Research Center. (2014). Public perceptions of privacy and security in the post-Snowden era. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/11/12/public-privacy-perceptions/. Accessed 22 Jan 2019.
- Pew Research Center. (2018a). Lower-income Americans still lag in tech adoption. Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/05/07/digital-divide-persists-even-as-lower-income-americans-make-gains-in-tech-adoption/. Accessed 5 June 2019.
- Pew Research Center. (2018b). For 24% of rural Americans, high-speed internet is a major problem. Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/09/10/about-a-quarter-of-rural-americans-say-access-to-high-speed-internet-is-a-major-problem/. Accessed 5 June 2019.
- Porter, M. E., & Kaplan, R. S. (2016). How to pay for health care. Harvard Business Review, 94(July–August), 88–98.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. E., & Rivkin, J. W. (2000). Industry transformation (Rev. 00/07/10.). Boston: Harvard Business School.Google Scholar
- Rauscher, G. H., Khan, J. A., Berbaum, M. L., & Conant, E. F. (2013). Potentially missed detection with screening mammography: does the quality of radiologist’s interpretation vary by patient socioeconomic advantage/disadvantage? Annals of Epidemiology, 23(4), 210–214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2013.01.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rice, T. (2013). The behavioral economics of health and health care. Annual Review of Public Health, 34(1), 431–447. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031912-114353.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ruckenstein, M., & Schüll, N. D. (2017). The datafication of health. Annual Review of Anthropology, 46(1), 261–278. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-anthro-102116-041244.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shukla, A., Gao, G., & Agarwal, R. (2018). How Digital Word-of-Mouth Affects Consumer Decision Making: Evidence from Doctor Appointment Booking (SSRN Scholarly Paper No. ID 2778683).Google Scholar
- Spanjol, J., Cui, A. S., Nakata, C., Sharp, L. K., Crawford, S. Y., Xiao, Y., & Watson-Manheim, M. B. (2015). Co-production of prolonged, complex, and negative services: an examination of medication adherence in chronically ill individuals. Journal of Service Research, 18(3), 284–302. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670515583824.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spitzer, J. (2018). 6.1M healthcare data breach victims in 2018: 5 of the biggest breaches so far. Becker’s Healthcare. Retrieved from: https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/cybersecurity/6-1m-healthcare-data-breach-victims-in-2018-5-of-the-biggest-breaches-so-far.html. Accessed 22 Jan 2019.
- Statista. (2017). Direct-to-consumer genetic testing market size worldwide 2014–2022. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/792022/global-direct-to-consumer-genetic-testing-market-size/. Accessed 17 Dec 2018.
- Susukida, R., Crum, R. M., Stuart, E. A., Ebnesajjad, C., & Mojtabai, R. (2016). Assessing sample representativeness in randomized controlled trials: application to the National Institute of Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network. Addiction, 111(7), 1226–1234. https://doi.org/10.1111/add.13327.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Thomas, S., Fayter, D., Misso, K., Ogilvie, D., Petticrew, M., Sowden, A., … Worthy, G. (2008). Population tobacco control interventions and their effects on social inequalities in smoking: Systematic review. Tobacco Control, 17(4), 230–237. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2007.023911.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tieu, L., Schillinger, D., Sarkar, U., Hoskote, M., Hahn, K. J., Ratanawongsa, N., … Lyles, C. R. (2016). Online patient websites for electronic health record access among vulnerable populations: portals to nowhere? Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 24(e1), e47–e54. https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocw098.
- Toubia, O. (2018). Conjoint analysis. In N. Mizik & D. M. Hanssens (Eds.), Handbook of marketing analytics: Methods and applications in marketing management, public policy, and litigation support (pp. 59–75). Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.Google Scholar
- Turner, S. D. (2016). Digital denied: The impact of systemic racial discrimination on home-internet adoption. FreePress.Google Scholar
- Ubel, P. A. (2012). Critical decisions: How you and your doctor can make the right medical choices together. New York: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Ubel, P. A., Zhang, C. J., Hesson, A., Davis, J. K., Kirby, C., Barnett, J., & Hunter, W. G. (2016). Study of physician and patient communication identifies missed opportunities to help reduce patients’ out-of-pocket spending. Health Affairs, 35(4), 654–661. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1280.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Volpp, K. G., & Mohta, N. S. (2019). Health Care Has Much to Learn from Consumer-Friendly Industries. NEJM Catalyst Insights Report. Retrieved from https://catalyst.nejm.org/consumerization-health-care-consumer-friendly-industries/. Accessed 10 Jan 2019.
- Wang, W., Chen, M., Gao, G., & McCullough, J. S. (2018). Surfing the ocean of digital health data: A deep learning approach to precise readmission prediction. Presented at Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST), Phoenix, AZ, November 3–14, 2018.Google Scholar
- World Economic Forum. (2017). Value in healthcare: Laying the foundation for health system transformation (Insight Report REF 220317).Google Scholar