Development and Validation of a Method for the Determination of Fatty Acid Methyl Ester Contents in Tung Biodiesel and Blends
- 285 Downloads
The aim of this study was to develop and validate a method for the analysis of fatty acid methyl ester (FAMEs) content in tung biodiesel and blends with soybean biodiesel. The limits of detection (LOD) and quantification (LOQ), linearity, robustness, accuracy and precision were evaluated by using gas chromatography with mass spectrometry detection and impact electron ionization. The analytical curves showed correlation coefficients values higher than 0.99. The LOD and LOQ were 0.78 and 2.5 mg L−1 for all FAMEs, respectively. The values of accuracy were between 86 and 117%, with relative standard deviation lower than 8%. The method was applied to tung biodiesel and tung and soybean biodiesel blends in the following proportions: 15:85, 20:80, 25:75 (%v/v). All of them showed good performance. Since the method was also applied to soybean biodiesel, the efficiency of the method for the analysis of both pure tung biodiesel and blends with different raw materials was confirmed and the robustness of the method was evidenced.
KeywordsTung oil Validation GC–EI–MS Blends Biodiesel FAMEs
The authors thank the Post-graduate Program in Technological and Environmental Chemistry at the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária, Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, Financiadora de Estudos e Projetos, Petróleo Brasileiro S/A and Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul for the financial support.
- 8.Gruszynski C, Anghinoni I, Meurer EJ, Kampf AN (2003) Misturas de casca de tungue e casca de arroz carbonizada no enraizamento de Dendranthema morifolium Tzevelev ‘Golden Polaris’ sob método de transpiração. Rev Bras Horticult Ornamen 9:63–70Google Scholar
- 9.Casagrande JG Jr, Ávila DT, Silva SDA, Ávila TT, Aires RF (2008) Produtividade do Tungue em plantios comerciais na Serra Gaúcha. Embrapa Clima Temperado, PelotasGoogle Scholar
- 11.ANP (2008) Agência Nacional do Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis (accessed in May 2010) Resolução—RE no. 7, March 19th, 2008 http://www.udop.com.br/download/legislacao/biodiesel/…/res_anp_7.pdf
- 15.Instituto Nacional de Metrologia, Normalização e Qualidade Industrial (INMETRO) (2003), Orientações sobre Validação de Métodos de Ensaios Químicos, DOQ-CGCRE-008Google Scholar
- 16.Valentini SR, Sommer WA, Matioli G (2007) Validação de métodos analíticos. Arquivos do Mudi 11:26–31Google Scholar
- 19.Firestone D (2006) Physical and chemical characteristics of oils, fats, and waxes, 2nd edn. AOCS Press, ChampaignGoogle Scholar