Hydrolysis of Epoxidized Soybean Oil in the Presence of Phosphoric Acid
- 976 Downloads
Ring-opening hydrolysis of epoxidized soybean oil in the presence of phosphoric acid was studied under varying experimental conditions. The influence of type and amount of solvents, phosphoric acid content and water content on the rate of ring-opening reactions and the characteristics of the derived products were studied. The soy-polyols prepared were characterized by determination of hydroxyl content, viscosity measurements, determination of average molecular weight and polydispersity index (GPC). The structural confirmation was done by FT-IR and 1H-NMR spectroscopy. The study shows that under the reaction conditions employed, a substantial degree of oligomerization due to oxirane-oxirane, and/or oxirane-hydroxyl reaction takes place. It is possible to synthesize soy-polyols having varying hydroxyl content and phosphate-ester functionality by controlling the type and amount of polar solvent and phosphoric acid content.
KeywordsRing-opening hydrolysis Oxirane content Oligomerization Epoxidized soybean oil
The authors would like to acknowledge the United Soybean Board for the financial support for this research project.
- 4.Jira Sato, Peloggia SH, Hunt T, Schwarzer J, Bueno RC, Lovald RA (2000) Process for the preparation of polyamides. US Patent 6:011–131Google Scholar
- 8.Roy TK, Mannari VM, Raval DA (1997) Synthesis and applications of oil-modified polyesteramide resins for surface coatings. J Sci Ind Res 56:159–163Google Scholar
- 11.Petrovic ZS, Guo A, Javni A, Zhang W (2000) Optimization of composition of soy-based polyols for rigid polyurethane foams. Annual Technical Conference-Society of Plastics Engineers, 58th 3:3732–3736Google Scholar
- 12.Petrovic ZS, Javni I, Guo A (1999) Rigid polyurethane foams based on soybean oil, 217th ACS National Meeting, Anaheim, March 21–25Google Scholar
- 13.Gruber B, Hoefer R, Kluth H, Meffert A (1987) Polyols on the basis of oleochemical raw materials. Fat Sci Technol 89:147–151Google Scholar
- 24.Monte D, Galia M, Cadiz V, Mantecon A, Serra A (1995) Makromol Chem 199:1051–1061Google Scholar