Variables affecting the yields of methyl esters derived from in situ esterification of rice bran oil
- 200 Downloads
The influence of specific factors on in situ methanolic esterification of rice bran oil (RBO) using sulfuric acid catalyst was investigated. using high-FFA rice bran was found to be the most effective means to increase methyl ester yields. The ester content of the extract increased about 67% when the FFA content of oil was increased from 16.6 to 84.5%. Increasing the reaction time beyond 30 min did not affect yields. Increasing the temperature from 20 to 65°C elevated the FAME yield by about 30%, but increasing the amount of acid catalyst above 5 mL did not enhance yield, and increasing the methanol dose from 200 to 250 mL had a negligible effect.
Key WordsEsterification fatty acid fatty acid methyl esters in situ esterification rice bran rice bran oil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kaufman, A.J., and R.J. Ruebusch, Keynote Speech: Oleochemicals: A World Overview, in World Conference on Oleochemicals into the 21st Century, edited by T.H. Applewhite, American Oil Chemists' Society, Champaign, 1991, pp. 10–25.Google Scholar
- 2.Krawzcyk, T., Biodiesel Still Awaiting Full Acceptance, inform 7:1320–1326 (1996).Google Scholar
- 4.Kalayasiri, P., N. Jeyashoke, and K. Krisnangkura, Survey of Seed Oils for Use as Diesel Fuels, Ibid. 73:471–474 (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.Özgül, S., and S. Türkay, In situ Esterification of Rice Bran Oil with Methanol and Ethanol, Ibid. 70:145–147 (1993).Google Scholar
- 9.Kildran, G., S.Ö. Yücel, and S. Türkay, S., In situ Alcoholysis of Soybean Oil, Ibid. 73:223–225 (1996).Google Scholar
- 10.Paquot, C., and A. Hautfenne, Standard Methods for the Analysis of Oils Fats and Derivatives, 7th edn., Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, 1987, pp. 73–77.Google Scholar
- 11.Stahl, E., Thin-Layer Chromatography, Academic Press, New York, 1965, pp. 147–164.Google Scholar
- 12.Paquot, C., and A. Hautfenne, Standard Methods for the Analysis of Oils Fats and Derivatives, 7th edn., Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, 1987, pp. 143–148.Google Scholar