NDMP-plus: An improved protocol for network based data management
- 11 Downloads
Network based data management is the backup/restore mechanism used in a data storage center. This paper presents a new network based data management—NDMP-Plus, a revision of network data management protocol. Components and the working mechanism of the NDMP-Plus architecture are first discussed. Two new techniques in NDMP-Plus—virtual storage layer (VSL) and negotiation mechanism are then studied. VSL is a crucial component to achieve flexibility, and the negotiation mechanism is a key to improve performance. Furthermore, experiments are carried out to evaluate the performance of NDMP-Plus. The result suggests that NDMP-Plus has stronger flexibility and better performance than NDMP.
Key wordsNDMP virtual storage layer negotiation mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Krueger M, Haagens R, Sapuntzakis C, et al. Small Computer Systems Interface Protocol over the Internet (iSCSI) Requirements and Design Considerations [S]. RFC3347, July, 2002.Google Scholar
- Vivek Kashyap. IP over InfiniBand (IPoIB) Architecture [S]. Draft-IETF-IPOIB-Architecture-04, April, 2004.Google Scholar
- Kostas Magoutis. Design and implementation of a direct access file system (DAFS) Kernel server for FreeBSD [A]. Proceeding of the BSDCon 2002 Conference [C]. San Francisco, Feb.11–Feb.14, 2002, 66–76.Google Scholar
- Stager R, Skardal H. Network Data Management Protocol Version 4[S]. Draft-Skardal-NDMPV4, February, 2000.Google Scholar
- Srinivasan R. XDR: External Data Representation Standard[S]. RFC1832, August, 1995.Google Scholar
- Rivest R. The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm [S]. RFC1321, April, 1992.Google Scholar
- The FreeBSD Operating System [EB/OL]. http://www.freebsd.org./, march, 2004.Google Scholar
- NDMPcopy[EB/OL]. http: //www.ndmp.org/download/ndmpcopy/index.shtml/, July, 2004.Google Scholar
- Marshall Kirk McKusick. Running “Fsck” in the back-ground[A]. Proceeding of the BSDCon 2002 Conference [C]. San Francisco, Feb. 11–Feb. 14, 2002, 55–64.Google Scholar
- Chase Jeff, Gallatin Andrew, Yocum Ken. End-System optimizations for High-Speed TCP[J]. IEEE Communications, special issue on high-speed TCP, 2000, 39(3): 68–74.Google Scholar
- Recio R, Culley P, Garcia D, et al. An RDMA Protocol Specification[S]. Draft-IETF-RDDP-RDMAPOl, October, 2003.Google Scholar