Advances in study of ginsenoside biosynthesis pathway in Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer
- 1.3k Downloads
Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer is one of the important nutraceutical and medicinal plants, which is used worldwide. Until now, ginseng has been reported to contain saponins, antioxidants, peptides, polysaccharides, fatty acids, vitamins, alkaloids, lignans, and flavonoids. The saponins, known as ginsenosides, are widely believed to be the major bioactive compounds of ginseng. In this article, ginsenoside biosynthesis pathway and key enzymes regulation are also described. This review provides a reference for improving ginsenoside contents through regulation of ginsenoside biosynthesis pathway.
KeywordsPanax ginseng Ginsenoside Elicitor Biosynthesis pathway Key enzyme
This research was funded by Science and Technology Commission of Tianjin, China (09ZCKFSH01100).
- Jorg B, Gilbert MG, Rodney C (1998) Plant terpenoid synthases: molecular biology and phylogenetic analysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 4:4126–4133Google Scholar
- Jung DY, Lee OR, Kim YJ, Lee JH, Pulla RK, Sathiyaraj G, Shim JS, Yang DC (2010) Molecular characterization of a cysteine proteinase inhibitor, PgCPI, from Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. Acta Physiol Plant doi: 10.1007/s11738-010-0485-y
- Kim JH, Chang EJ, Oh HI (2005) Saponin production in submerged adventitious root culture of Panax ginseng as affected by culture conditions and elicitors. As Pac J Mol Biol Biotechnol 13(2):87–91Google Scholar
- Lee JH, Kim YJ, Jeong DY, Sathiyaraj G, Pulla RK, Shim JS, In JG, Yang DC (2010) Isolation and characterization of a Glutamate decarboxylase (GAD) gene and their differential expression in response to abiotic stresses from Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11033-009-9937-0
- Pulla RK, Lee OR, In JG, Parvin S, Kim YJ, Shim JS, Sun H, Kim YJ, Senthil K, Yang DC (2010) Identification and characterization of class I chitinase in Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11033-010-0082-6
- Sathiyamoorthy S, In JG, Gayathri S, Kim YJ, Yang DC (2010) Generation and gene ontology based analysis of expressed sequence tags (EST) from a Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer roots. Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11033-009-9938-z
- Sathiyaraj G, Srinivasan S, Subramanium S, Kim YJ, Kim YJ, Kwon WS, Yang DC (2010) Polygalacturonase inhibiting protein: isolation, developmental regulation and pathogen related expression in Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer. Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11033-009-9936-1
- Sun H, Kim MK, Pulla RK, Kim YJ, Yang DC (2010) Isolation and expression analysis of a novel major latex-like protein (MLP151) gene from Panax ginseng. Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11033-009-9707-z
- Tomohisa K (2002) Mevalonate and nonmevalonate pathways for the biosynthesis of isoprene units. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 8:1619–1627Google Scholar