Effect of electroacupuncture on anxiety and craving in heroin addicts during detoxification
- 62 Downloads
To observe the effect of electroacupuncture at Jiaji (EX-B 2) points for anxiety and craving in heroin addicts during detoxification.
A total of 60 cases were randomized into an electroacupuncture group and a control group, 30 in each group. Cases in the electroacupuncture group were treated with electroacupuncture at Jiaji (EX-B 2) points, whereas cases in the control group were treated with Methadone and Doxepin. Then scores were graded using Zung self-rating anxiety score (SAS) and self-made visual analogue scale (VAS). The assessment was conducted once a day to record the adverse reactions.
After treatment, the SAS and VAS scores in the electroacupuncture group were significantly lower than that in the control group (P<0.01).
Electroacupuncture at Jiaji (EX-B 2) points can effectively alleviate anxiety and craving intensity in heroin addicts during detoxification.
Key WordsAcupuncture Therapy Electroacupuncture Heroin Dependence Substance Withdrawal Syndrome Anxiety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Song XG, Xu GL, Tang ZL, Gu Y, Zhang H, Chen XM, Huang CS. Clinical observation on ear acupuncture for protracted heroin withdrawal symptom in 70 cases. Zhongguo Zhongyiyao Keji, 2006, 13 (3): 189–190.Google Scholar
- Xia Y, Peng JJ, Lu YY, Yang W, Hu TC, Su Z. Clinical research of protracted withdrawal syndrome treatment with phenytoin in heroin addicts. Zhongguo Yaowu Lanyong Fangzhi Zazhi, 2006, 12(2): 79–80.Google Scholar
- Liu DC. Therapeutic efficacy analysis on doxepin for anxiety and craving during detoxification in 140 heroin addicts. Guangxi Yixue, 2008, 30(4): 510–512.Google Scholar
- Wu JM, Lin JH, Luo YF, Li J. Acupuncture Ameliorating Psycho-craving for Heroin Addict. Chengdu Zhongyiyao Daxue Xuebao, 2002, 25 (3): 5–6.Google Scholar
- Wang XD, Wang XL, Ma H. Mental Health Assessment Rating Scale. Beijing: Periodical Office of Zhongguo Xinli Weisheng, 1999: 235–237.Google Scholar
- Li X. Heroin dependence event-related potential and neuropsychological research advance. Linchuang Xinshen Jibing Zazhi, 2007, 13(6): 567–569.Google Scholar
- Li ZQ, Song KX, Song XJ. Effect of systemic psycho- behavioral therapy for mental health problems of drug abusers under detoxification. Zhongguo Yaowu Yilaixing Zazhi, 2006, 15(2): 54–58.Google Scholar
- Wang ZG, Bai YG, Zhao ZL, Zhang XW, Chen WG, Ma L. SAS application outcome analysis in addicts of snorting heroin. Zhongguo Yaowu Lanyong Fangzhi Zazhi, 1998, (2): 11–14.Google Scholar
- Hu J, Lu Y, Xin YH, Li Y, Zong L, Zhao SX, Li S. Observation on positive reaction points on the spine in heroin dependence. Zhongguo Zhenjiu, 2000, 20(10): 87–89.Google Scholar
- Mu JP, Liu L, Hu J, Xu P. Clinical study on electro- acupuncture at Jiaji (EX-B 2) for interfering protracted withdrawal syndrome in the patient of heroin dependence. Zhongguo Zhenjiu, 2005, 25(9): 599–602.Google Scholar
- Wang GH, Pan GS, Guo L, Han YC. Effect of acupuncture on the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal system in heroin withdrawal rats. Zhongguo Yaoli Xue Tongbao, 2012, 28(3): 402–406.Google Scholar
- Sun YZ, Wei Z, Ma J, Wang MM. Effect of electro- acupuncture on behavior and DA content in rats with morphine withdrawal-induced anxiety. Shanghai Zhenjiu Zazhi, 2011, 30(5): 337–339.Google Scholar