Ant colony optimization for real-world vehicle routing problems
Ant colony optimization (ACO) is a metaheuristic for combinatorial optimization problems. In this paper we report on its successful application to the vehicle routing problem (VRP). First, we introduce the VRP and some of its variants, such as the VRP with time windows, the time dependent VRP, the VRP with pickup and delivery, and the dynamic VRP. These variants have been formulated in order to bring the VRP closer to the kind of situations encountered in the real-world.
Then, we introduce the basic principles of ant colony optimization, and we briefly present its application to the solution of the VRP and of its variants.
Last, we discuss the applications of ACO to a number of real-world problems: a VRP with time windows for a major supermarket chain in Switzerland; a VRP with pickup and delivery for a leading distribution company in Italy; a time dependent VRP for freight distribution in the city of Padua, Italy, where the travel times depend on the time of the day; and an on-line VRP in the city of Lugano, Switzerland, where customers’ orders arrive during the delivery process.
KeywordsAnt colony optimization Ant colony system Vehicle routing problem Dynamic VRP Rich VRP Real-world VRP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aksoy, Y., & Derbez, A. (2003). Software survey: supply chain management. OR/MS Today, 30(3), 1–13. Google Scholar
- Bianchi, L., Birattari, M., Chiarandini, M., Manfrin, M., Mastrolilli, M., Paquete, L., Rossi-Doria, O., & Schiavinotto, T. (2004). Metaheuristics for the vehicle routing problem with stochastic demands. X. Yao, et al. (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science : Vol. 3242. Parallel problem solving from nature—PPSN VIII (pp. 450–460). Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- Desaulniers, G., Desrosiers, J., Erdmann, A., Solomon, M. M., & Soumis, F. (2000). VRP with pickup and delivery. In P. Toth & D. Vigo (Eds.), The vehicle routing problem (pp. 225–242). Philadelphia: SIAM. Google Scholar
- Donati, A. V., Montemanni, R., Casagrande, N., Rizzoli, A. E., & Gambardella, L. M. (2007, in press). Time dependent vehicle routing problem with a multi ant colony system. European Journal of Operational Research. Google Scholar
- Dorigo, M. (1992). Optimization, learning and natural algorithms. PhD thesis, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Politecnico di Milano, Italy. Google Scholar
- Gambardella, L. M., Taillard, É., & Agazzi, G. (1999). MACS-VRPTW: a multiple ant colony system for vehicle routing problems with time windows. In D. Corne, M. Dorigo & F. Glover (Eds.), New ideas in optimization (pp. 63–76). London: McGraw–Hill. Google Scholar
- Gendreau, M., & Potvin, J.-Y. (1998). Dynamic vehicle routing and dispatching. In T. G. Crainic & G. Laporte (Eds.), Fleet management and logistic (pp. 115–226). Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- Guntsch, M., & Middendorf, M. (2001). Pheromone modification strategies for ant algorithms applied to dynamic TSP. In E. J. W. Boers et al. (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science : Vol. 2037. Applications of evolutionary computing: EvoWorkshops 2001: EvoCOP, EvoFlight, EvoIASP, EvoLearn, and EvoSTIM (pp. 213–222), Como, Italy, 18–20 April 2001. Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- Kilby, P., Prosser, P., & Shaw, P. (1999). Guided local search for the vehicle routing problem. In S. Voss, S. Martello, I. H. Osman & C. Roucairol (Eds.), Meta-heuristics: advances and trends in local search paradigms for optimization (pp. 473–486). Boston: Kluwer Academic. Google Scholar
- Laporte, G., & Louveaux, F. V. (1998). Solving stochastic routing problems with the integer L-shaped method. In T. G. Crainic & G. Laporte (Eds.), Fleet management and logistics (pp. 159–167). Boston: Kluwer Academic. Google Scholar
- Lourenço, H. R., Martin, O., & Stützle, T. (2003). Iterated local search. In F. Glover & G. Kochenberger (Eds.), Handbook of metaheuristics (pp. 321–353). Boston: Kluwer Academic. Google Scholar
- Psaraftis, H. (1988). Dynamic vehicle routing problems. In B. L. Golden & A. A. Assad (Eds.), Vehicle routing: methods and studies (pp. 223–248). Amsterdam: North-Holland. Google Scholar
- Reimann, M., Doerner, K., & Hartl, R. F. (2002). A savings based ant system for the vehicle routing problem. In W. B. Langdon et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of the genetic and evolutionary computation conference (GECCO-2002) (pp. 1317–1325). San Francisco: Kaufmann. Google Scholar
- Reimann, M., Doerner, K., & Hartl, R. F. (2003). Analyzing a unified ant system for the VRP and some of its variants. In G. Raidl et al. (Eds.), Lecture notes in computer science : Vol. 2611. Applications of evolutionary computing: EvoWorkshops 2003: EvoBIO, EvoCOP, EvoIASP, EvoMUSART, EvoROB, and EvoSTIM (pp. 300–310), Essex, UK, 14–16 April 2003. Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- Toth, P., & Vigo, D. (2001a). Branch-and-bound algorithms for the capacitated VRP. In P. Toth & D. Vigo (Eds.), The vehicle routing problem (pp. 29–51). Philadelphia: SIAM. Google Scholar
- Toth, P., & Vigo, D. (2001b). An overview of vehicle routing problems. In P. Toth & D. Vigo (Eds.), The vehicle routing problem (pp. 1–26). Philadelphia: SIAM. Google Scholar
- Van Breedam, A. (1996). An analysis of the effect of local improvement operators in genetic algorithms and simulated annealing for the vehicle routing problem. RUCA Working Paper 96/14, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1996. Google Scholar